Under limited supervision, responsible for purchasing of all company equipment, supplies, parts and requisitioned material orders.
Essential Job Functions
This is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, and state, federal and local laws.
Complies with all department SOP practices.
- Determines the (internal) customer's requirements indicated on purchase requisitions; obtains signed purchase requisitions from all departments; reviews documents for completeness and accuracy.
- Coordinates with all departments to provide the best quality and service of purchased products, supplies and materials.
- Processes orders through approved suppliers and orders according to specifications; negotiates contracts when necessary, in collaboration with Purchasing Manager and Legal Departments.
- Communicates with suppliers on price, quality, delivery dates and methods of shipment; verifies supplier's pricing and terms are acceptable to company guidelines.
- Performs follow-up duties on delinquent orders and expedites orders when goods require urgency; expedites critical issues involving the procurement of materials, supplies and/or products that support other departments.
- Serves as key contact with all suppliers of assigned items and all departments on product and/or purchasing related issues.
- Processes return of rejected or discrepant items; initiates and follows-up with warranty claims.
- Maintains accurate files of purchasing department records and communications.
- Interfaces with Accounting Department regarding price variations, and reasons for variations.
- Assists in the development, implementation and tracking of purchasing department efforts to control and lower costs; gathers, measures and reports basic data on supplier performance. Creates reports and presentations as necessary or directed.
- Develops and investigates reliable and effective sources of supply; identifies/develops alternative supply sources for critical materials; conducts souring of new suppliers for non-production items and assists in supplier qualifications.
- Provides feedback and status to requisitioner, when needed, to emphasize the purchasing department's commitment to customer service.
- Maintains a positive (internal) customer relationship for all aspects relating to designated buying responsibilities; maintains positive, professional relations with suppliers.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures, including safety rules and regulations.
- Keeps Purchasing Supervisor apprised of all current purchasing problems/issues.
- Provides input for site procurement budget and annual standards.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and other regulatory requirements.
- Material and purchasing procedures, applications and practices in a manufacturing environment.
- Computer programs, MS Office and applications.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Current company policies and procedures.
- Pharmaceutical principals, practices and their application.
- Contract negotiation skills.
- Basic mathematical and computation skills.
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and/or Contract Law.
- Major project bidding and bid analysis process and procedures.
- Contract types, negotiations, terms and conditions.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP).
Implementing goals, objectives and practices for effective, efficient and cost effective management of allocated resources.
- Analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, recommending and implementing solutions.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ensuring to compliance with all Company policies and procedures, including safety rules and regulations.
- Responding to common inquiries and problems from internal customers and department personnel.
- Report preparation and presentation.
- Ability to work on a team or independently with minimal supervision.
- Complying with department SOP guidelines.
- Effectively researching vendor supply sources, and negotiating vendor contracts.
- Effectively and professionally communicating with all levels of personnel, vendors and customers.
: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in purchasing or related field, and three (3) to five (5) years of purchasing experience, preferably in food, cosmetic, or pharmaceutical manufacturing environment. Membership in local NAPM society and Certification in Purchasing Management (CPM) designation a plus.
Watson Pharmaceuticals - 17 months ago