The purpose of this position is to provide purchasing support to City employees and departments. This is accomplished by coordinating City purchases; collecting requisitions for purchases of equipment, supplies and services and issuing purchase orders. Contacting vendors, ensuring purchases are in compliance with City ordinances, policies and procedures. Conducting software employee training sessions. Providing customer service support and addressing issues between vendors and City departments. Serve as the purchasing website specialist to post all purchasing related information. Create bid specifications, process bids, conduct pre-bid/ pre-proposal meetings and bid openings. Create and maintain tracking databases for insurance certificates, bid information, track annual contracts and produce purchasing reports. Other duties may include serving as backup to the Contract Specialist and be able to assume those duties as needed. Conduct city-wide auctions as needed. This position may be assigned special projects as needed. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Coordinates City purchases by collecting requisitions for equipment, supplies and services, examining and processing requisition forms, issuing purchase orders, contacting vendors via Internet, telephone and fax, gathering quotes from vendors for needed services or products, reviewing change orders, determining approval for change orders and ensuring applicable laws, City ordinances, policies and procedures are followed.
- Coordinates purchasing software for the City by performing system set-ups for City employees, coding authority levels and account access in software, providing system maintenance, and training employees on using the purchasing software. Maintaining current knowledge of purchasing software and updating training materials as new information becomes available.
- Provide customer service support on purchasing issues by communicating with both internal and external customers, receiving customer complaints, addressing customer complaints and inquiries, resolving purchasing issues, gathering product and service data from businesses, analyzing gathered data and disseminating to City departments.
- Conduct pre-bid meeting and bid openings. Work with departments to create specifications, issue bid addendums, explain specifications, insurance requirements and bidding requirements to vendors and meeting attendees.
- Conduct City-Wide auctions by working with auctioneer, tagging items for auction, photographing auction items, administer drop off and pickup of auction items.
- Serve as purchasing website specialist. Post bids, bid results, annual contracts, reverse auctions and quotes. Maintain website with updated information.
- Maintain current knowledge of local, state and federal laws.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with a two year associate's degree, diploma or equivalent from a college, technical, business, vocational, or correspondence school. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Over two years up to and including four years of relevant experience.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Driver's License, Certified Professional Public Buyer preferred or required within 2 years.
Intermediate - Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives general directions. The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Frequency from 50% to 100% of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 17 months ago