The purpose of this job is to procure a variety of materials, equipment or service commodities. Duties include, but are not limited to: writing specification; maintaining records; handling complaints; preparing procurement procedures; selecting vendors; evaluating requisitions; and processing associated paperwork.
Examples Of Essential Duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Productivity and Accountability:
• Writes appropriate specifications, inclusive of terms and condition for requests for proposal.
• Writes detailed specifications for Invitation to Bid.
• Handles vendor/agency complaints.
• Assists user department with the procurement of needed items and goods.
• Maintains record of up-to-date statewide and agency contracts and price agreements and the supplies and equipment needs of the various departments.
• Prepares and distributes department procurement procedures and advises persons of procurement procedure and availability of various supplies, equipment and services.
• Checks specification to ensure it is written to the qualified bidder and quote.
Planning and Organizing:
• Evaluates requisitions as to what method is appropriate for purchase.
• Selects vendor from computerized Vendor By Commodity listing.
• Selects vendor/Award of ITB - cost analyses, value analysis.
• Plans and schedules: bidding procurement in accordance with established policies.
• Performs work of moderate difficulty in coordinating the procurement of supplies, equipment and services.
• Plans and schedules: sending out questionnaire for annual contract, for expiring contracts; processing emergency requisitions, or confirmation requisitions.
• Prepares emergency procurement requirements for various departments after evaluating conditions of emergency and obtains competitive bids from vendor.
• Interviews prospective bidders and salesmen and maintains lists of bidder for various goods and services.
• Explains the ordinances concerning purchasing and finance procedures to bidders, user departments and the general public.
• Solicits prices from vendors by telephone and mail quotes, evaluate price and quality of each.
• Meets with representative of supplies to learn of various supplies and equipment, maintain catalog of product information.
• Sorts and separates incoming mail/requisitions.
• Returns telephone calls.
• Prepares, separates, sorts packages for mailing of Request for Quote.
• Handles vendor file maintenance.
• Files Purchase Orders.
• Types labels for vendor files if needed.
• Maintains a minority bidder's list.
• Supports departmental budget guidelines and modifies activities when appropriate.
Equipment Use and Maintenance:
• Operates various office equipment including computer, calculator, typewriter.
• Follows all safety precautions necessary in operating equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
Record Keeping and Documentation:
• Prepares various documentation including vendor usage reports; vendor complaint forms (for agency/from agency); drawings; RFQ cost analysis, specifications, correspondence; tax statements; technical study reports; change orders; supply bids; return requisition forms; vendor maintenance forms, requisitions.
• Shares knowledge with managers, supervisors and staff for mutual and departmental benefit; develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships with department staff and employees in other departments, representatives from organizations, and the public so as to maintain good will toward the department and to project a good department image.
• Interacts effectively with the Supervisor, department heads, co-workers, elected officials, and the general public.
Marginal Job Functions
• Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge of Job
Has extensive knowledge of management, human resource management/personnel, and financial practices, policies and procedures as necessary in the completion of daily responsibilities. Is able to develop and administer policies, procedures, plans and activities and to monitor performance of subordinates against measured established goals. Knows how to develop and administer operations and staff plans and objectives. Is able to develop and implement long-term goals for the department in order to promote effectiveness and efficiency. Has extensive knowledge of all applicable laws, ordinances, policies, standards and regulations pertaining to the specific duties and responsibilities of the job. Knows how to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, operations, budgetary and equipment needs, etc. as they pertain to departmental and human resource/personnel operations and activities. Is able to effectively communicate and interact with subordinates, elected officials, management, employees and members of the general public. Is able to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear and effective manner. Has good organizational, management, human relations, and technical skills. Is able to use independent judgement and discretion in managing subordinates including the handling of emergency situations, determining and deciding upon procedures to be implemented, setting priorities, maintaining standards, and resolving problems. Has the ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information. Has the mathematical ability to handle required calculations. Is knowledgeable and proficient with computers. Is able to read, understand and interpret personnel and financial reports and related materials.
Associate's degree in Business/Public Administration or related field required; two years progressively responsible, professional procurement experience, preferably in the public sector; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job.