Under the direction of the nurse manager or Registered Professional Nurse, the cardiac cath technician handles the instruments, supplies and equipment necessary during the invasive procedure. The technician has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the physicians. The cardiac cath technician has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during invasive procedures and is constantly vigilant for maintaining sterile technique.
See Below. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Checks supplies and equipment prior to invasive procedure.
2. Scrubs, sets up, and assists intra-procedure.
3. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique.
4. Assists physician and RN with post-procedure care.
5. Handles specimens appropriately.
6. Prepares instruments for decontamination.
7. Assists with preparing for cases.
8. Tech is responsible for returning unused equipment and supplies to its proper location.
9. Follows WPHC policies and procedures for Infection Control and Fire Code.
10. Identifies malfunctioning equipment appropriately.
11. Follows patient safety standards.
12. Responds appropriately in emergency situations.
13. Completes competency requirements.
14. Attends all mandatory in-services.
15. Utilizes cost containment practices.
16. Adheres to all WPHC policies and procedures including dress code, code of conduct, customer service, attendance and submission of annual physical.
Education, Training, Licensure and Experience Requirements
· High School Graduate.
· Successful completion of scrub technician training program hospital based, hospital orientation.
· One year scrub technician or cardiac technician experience preferred.
· RCIS registration is preferred.
· Demonstrates excellent clinical judgment and ability to apply new concepts and skills in invasive cardiology.
· Demonstrates responsibility for own professional development
White Plains Hospital is a voluntary, not-for-profit health care organization with the primary mission of offering high quality, acute...