Install, maintain/repair, and test residential and small business telecommunication service (POTS and Century Link High-Speed Internet)
Test and turn-up subscriber lines, carrier plant, and/or fiber optic plant.
Responsible for the provisioning and maintenance of Central Office including, but not limited to subscriber loop carrier systems, DS0, DS,1 T3, DSL, POTS, digital and optical muxes.
Installs, performs routine maintenance, analyzes defects, tests, adjusts, repairs and maintains complex equipment such as switching systems, circuit equipment, network terminal equipment, and data/digital equipment by using electrical and or electronic measuring devices.
Reads and interprets customer service orders, maps, blueprints, diagrams, technical drawings (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital), etc.
Adjust work assignments or schedule to complete designated daily work and meet changing work-related priorities and demands.
Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications including:
- Basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC);
- Basic electrical components (e.g., conductors, insulators, switches, capacitors, inductors, transformers) and basic circuit design; and
- Operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments (e.g., multi-meters, etc.).
Perceive differences in wire and telecom cable color.
- Ability to: Use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform tests to identify and solve problems.
Climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, exceeding 12 feet, as well as small spaces. poles confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces,).
Perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds. (Any offer of employment is contingent upon passage of a strength test.)
Foster team work in a cooperative climate and to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- At least six months experience within the last five years (prefer 12 months):
- Connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service, both POTS and DSL on copper and/or fiber optic cable in an aerial, or buried environment.
- At least six (6) months experience within the last five (5) years provisioning and maintaining DSO, DS1/T1, DS3/T3, switching equipment and ISDN circuits or services.
- A valid State driver’s license with a current satisfactory driving record.
- Work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
- 12 months of experience in testing and turning up DSL and POTS
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...