This position performs technical duties in the field of patient care and participates in the general health care of patients by providing assistance for cleanliness, grooming, rest, activity, nourishment and distribution of medications. Assists the professional staff in maintaining a safe therapeutic environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Distributes and documents detainee/inmate medications, both in general population and administrative segregation from filled prescriptions, abiding by the rules and regulations of the Health and Safety Code, Chapter 242, Subchapter F, “Licensing Standards for Medication Aides.”
• Ensures pharmacy room security, replaces facility working stocks and maintains the upkeep of the facility pharmacy and pharmaceutical equipment. Maintains security while dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among detainees. Maintains non-involvement in the security aspects of care.
• Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics in dispensing medication.
• Enters medication compliance into pharmacy computer system if applicable. Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered, using the formulary.
• Takes and records vital signs as well as intake and output; provides patient care including bathing patients, mouth care, back care, serving food trays, feeding patients, assisting with ambulation, administering foot soaks and hot and cold packs, and turning, positing and transferring patients.
• Assists the physician with sick call and setting up for minor surgical procedures.
• Observes and reports changes in patient’s condition; assists the physician or nurse with procedures under their direct supervision.
• Interviews incoming detainees and completes the receiving screening form. Informs the nurses or physician of detainees with health problems who need immediate attention; assists with detainee discharge from the facility; records medical data in the health record; assembles health records on newly received detainees; maintains statistical logs required for periodic reports.
• Documents all detainee contacts. Maintains confidentiality of medical records.
• Assists in the maintenance of a safe, comfortable facility environment; obtains, stores and maintains nursing supplies; cleans and sterilizes instruments and equipment.
• Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality of information and records at all times.
• Practices basic cost containment and utilization management for patient care and facility operations.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The GEO Group, Inc. (GEO) is the world's leading provider of correctional, detention, and community reentry services with 106 facilities,...