Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana is a nonprofit organization that is leading the fight against hunger in south Louisiana through food distribution, advocacy, education, and disaster response. We distribute food to Louisianans in need through a network of nearly 240 faith-based and nonprofit member agencies across 23 parishes in south Louisiana. For more information about our company, please visit our website at www.no-hunger.org .
Position reports to the Director of Community Kitchen. This position is responsible for safe food preparation. Responsibilities include maintaining inventory utilizing the NUTRIKIDS menu planning software, supervising staff and volunteers, assisting with food procurement, and maintaining high work, sanitation and safety standards.
ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all inclusive)
- In collaboration with the Director of Community Kitchen, safely prepare meals.
- Prepare all menus in accordance with guidelines utilizing NUTRIKIDS menu planning software.
- Maintain complete control of the kitchen; identify problems and resolve them quickly.
- Oversee the Cook and volunteers including food preparation and serving.
- Responsible for food inventory utilizing the NUTRIKIDS menu planning software.
- Collaborate with the Director of Community Kitchen in ensuring compliance with kitchen inventory.
- Procure food within SHFB’s procurement guidelines.
- Coordinate and perform cooking presentations.
- Teach culinary and food safety skills to kitchen team.
- Open and close the kitchen daily.
- Maintain records and complete all required paperwork in a timely fashion.
- Ensure daily sanitation of kitchen and all required daily inspections are logged.
- Study food safety in order to keep ServSafe certification current.
Associate’s degree from an accredited culinary school or equivalent apprenticeship program. At least five years full-time experience in a professional kitchen with at least two years in management and/or eight years food service experience. Some experience in a teaching and/or social service role preferred.
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes.
- ServSafe certified.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and behavior management skills.
- Ability to motivate and manage staff and kitchen volunteers; supporter of diversity.
- Self-directed with a strong sense of initiative, creative problem solving, flexibility, and discretion.
- Strong organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Display sound judgment and show a commitment to the mission and desired outcomes of the organization.
- Contribute to a team environment and exhibit the principles of continuous learning, servant leadership, and a dedication to excellence.
- Must have reliable transportation and current automobile insurance as routine travel is necessary to promote the Community Kitchen.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
HOW TO APPLY
Email resumé and cover letter (with salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Type “ Chef " as the only content in the subject line of your email.
Closing Date : Open Until Filled
Due to the large volume of resumés we receive, we are unable to provide a personal follow-up. Therefore, we cannot respond to general inquiries regarding your status. Should your credentials form a suitable match with the position posted, you will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana.
Equal Opportunity Employer