Percent Time: |
Type of Position
Regular: A position which is considered essential for the effective long-term operation of the university. Persons appointed to this position will receive the privileges and benefits associated with regular employment status.
This new position will be responsible for supervising, planning, organizing, directing, and participating in the centralized production of a highly specialized bakery and pastry menu items for residential dining, retail cafes-stores, and banquets/catering operations. The Pastry Chef assures standardization of recipes and consistency in preparation and quality of products and actively participates in recipe development and menu planning. To learn more about University Housing & Dining and to view a complete job description, visit our web site at http://housing.uiowa.edu/ .
• Determines production, personnel requirements, and ensures the accuracy, quality and consistency of bakery products.
• Assures quantity, quality, accuracy, consistency and timeliness of prepared foods.
• Participates in and monitors the preparation of foods to meet production requirements.
• Actively participates in menu planning and the introduction of new products that meet established standards of quality and innovation.
• Recommends measures to improve production/service methods, equipment performance, scheduling, quality control, and suggest changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency and safety of the food service operations.
• Performs administrative activities, including the preparation of requisitions for food and supplies according to production guidelines and recipes.
• Manages inventory of foods and supplies for area of assignment. Evaluates quality of raw foods received and finished food products.
Safety and Sanitation
• Oversees and maintains safety and sanitary standards in production areas according to the Iowa Health Code and internal standards. Ensures proper storage and labeling of food.
• Ensures proper and safe use of all production equipment and work areas. Inspects and coordinates repairs and maintenance of equipment as required.
• Develops, plans, organizes and conducts formalized training sessions for bakery staff on new and revised methods and procedures.
• Plans, coordinates and supervises the work activity of assigned support ensuring proper staffing and consistent quality in the preparation of bakery/pastry foods.
• Performs human resource functions including, interviewing, selection, training, and performance management, including disciplinary action.
• Orient and train new bakery staff.
Financial and Contract Management
• Maintains controls over assigned budget areas of food, supply, and labor costs, taking corrective action as needed to meet budget expectations.
A Bachelor's degree in Dietetics, Foods and Nutrition, Institutional Management, Hotel & Restaurant Administration, or related filed; or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Reasonable (1-3 years) experience in managing and participating in the operation of a large scale bakery production center including specialty cake decorating and pastry production; food service management, including personnel supervision and inventory control is required.
Excellent written and verbal communications skills are required.
Proficient in computer software applications (i.e., Word, Excel and email) and electronic payroll and timekeeping systems.
Ability to obtain and maintain ServSafe certification.
ACF Working Pastry Chef certification.
Some (6 months - 1 year) experience in banquet planning, working in a large-scale food service, and retail operations, preferably in a college/university setting.
Some experience working with a collective bargaining unit.
Creative, innovative and self-motivated individual.