INTERPLASTIC CORPORATION is the leading manufacturer of unsaturated polyester, vinyl ester and specialty resins, gel coats, and colorants under the CoREZYN® and Silmar® brand names for the composites, cast polymer, and solid surface industries. As a pioneer of cutting edge technology, we grow to meet the needs of the composites industry. In addition, all of our manufacturing facilities and research and development laboratories are ISO 9001:2000 certified.
We have an outstanding opportunity for a Chemist at our Gel Coat manufacturing facility located in Vadnais Heights, Minnesota. This position is responsible for developing new gel coat and colorant products, evaluating competitive products, assisting in product problem resolution, and presiding over product scale up and field trials.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Conduct laboratory work for evaluating new raw materials, developing new products, optimizing existing products and preparing samples for customer evaluations.
- Recommending direction for laboratory efforts.
- Participate in laboratory quality assurance projects.
- Monitoring scale up activities for manufacturing of new products.
- Communicate effectively and on a timely basis with stake holders on all developments or matters resulting from laboratory work activities through detailed project reports and periodic project reviews.
- Acquire all skills required to operate laboratory testing equipment, laboratory batch making equipment, and color computer analysis systems.
- Operate laboratory instrumentation and interpret results for polymer analysis, specifically related to rheology and molecular weight determination.
- Assist in field problem resolution including technical service as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- B.S. degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Material Science or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Experience in coating formulation or analysis.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- PC skills in word processing, and spreadsheet and presentations.
- Able to discern colors and experience in color analysis and matching.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of thermoset polyester chemistry and understand polymer physical properties.
- Experience in formulating and evaluating styrenic polyester based coating systems.
- Knowledge of problem solving methodology such as design of experiments.
- Have the ability to travel as required.
Comprehensive Benefits Package which includes:
- Competitive Salary
- Medical Benefit Plan Options
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Life Insurance Plan
- Short Term Disability Plan
- Long Term Disability Plan
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Benefits Plan
- 401K Plan that includes matching as well as profit sharing
CareerBuilder - 16 months ago