Position subject to furlough days.
Assists teachers at District Pre-schools and Children's Centers in a variety of program, instructional and non-instructional activities; performs work of a routine clerical nature as required.
TRANSCRIPTS, CERTIFICATES OR ANY OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENT must be ATTACHED and SUBMITTED together with the application.
Unit/Degree verification (including equivalency of foreign degrees) must be submitted with the online application as an attachment in the form of unofficial transcripts. Equivalence of foreign degrees must have been reviewed and verified by a regionally accredited foregin degrees review agency.
The current vacancy is a 50% position. The incumbent will work 4 hours per day, 5 days per week and 9 months per year. Salary based on actual hours worked.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL LICENSE OR LANGUAGE SKILLS:
Experience: Two (2) years experience as a District Children's Services Assistant I, or the equivalent, is required.
Education: Completion of formal or informal education sufficient to possess the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities established for the position; must possess a sec-ondary (i.e., high school) school diploma, or its equivalent (GED), and must have completed six (6) child development units from a regionally accredited post sec-ondary institution of higher education. Advanced education, such as an Asso-ciate (AA) degree, or education beyond an AA degree is highly desirable.
Special license or language skills:
The ability to read, write and speak another language, in addition to English, such as Armenian or Spanish, is highly desirable.
Employees must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential duties of a position with or without reasonable accommodation and without hazard to themselves or others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and responsibilities of this class include but are not limited to:
• Sets up and organizes facilities, equipment and materials for daily use
• Assists children and parents upon arrival, may assist in collecting fees, documents, etc.
• Assists teacher(s) in supervising children and their activities during directed and free play time, nutrition peri¬ods, nap time and bath¬room duties, i.e., toileting, changes of clothing, etc.
• Administers first aid, assists with health care instruction and reporting injuries, illness or sus-pected child-abuse cases to teacher
• Assists teachers in program activities by working with indi¬vidual and small groups of children
• Uses various classroom equipment, etc.
• Prepares and serves snacks and lunches at nutrition periods, cleaning up afterward
• Assists in maintain¬ing an orderly, clean and sanitary facility
• Sets up cots for naps and folds and stores them after nap time
• Attends staff and in-service training meetings as directed
• Assists parent volun¬teers
• May perform routine clerical duties such as sorting mail and keep¬ing necessary records
• Performs other related duties as required
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Growth and development, behavior management, and general needs of children
• Effective interpersonal relations
• First aid techniques and practices
• English usage, spelling and grammar
• Basic math
• Classroom and office equipment and procedures
• Safety precautions
• Telephone techniques
• Understand and appropriately respond to the needs of children
• Use good judgment
• Learn procedures and functions
• Communicate effectively orally
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and others
• Perform routine clerical tasks
• Maintain sensitivity to ethnic, religious, cultural and sexual differences;
• Effectively work with children, parents and staff
• Operate a variety of classroom equipment
Pasadena Unified School District - 21 months ago