This CL Field Underwriter will cover the Phoenix, AZ territory. Qualified candidate must reside in the territory.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for generating new, profitable commercial lines business production from agencies in assigned territory. Has a good, workable knowledge of commercial contracts and is familiar with various commercial insurance policy language and endorsements. Begins to develop partnership with sales managers in order to extract new business from the agency force to review, quote, inspect and issue. Develop relationships with agencies for the purposes of writing new business. Achieve the territorial strategic and operating plan objectives for profit, production, and service.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Manager or Director. No direct reports.
1. Within delegated authority levels and company guidelines, accepts, rejects, or modifies new commercial lines business to ensure profitability. Prices business according to company underwriting and pricing guidelines, and ensures standards for timelines are met.
2. Accurately evaluates risk exposures. Underwrite new business, review apps., select business to quote and reject the business that is unacceptable, class and price according to guidelines. Underwriting also includes reviewing MVR's, financial reports and loss control reports.
3. Gather competitive data, prepare reports, and perform loss control inspections.
4. Conduct routine field inspections of accounts, with and without agents. Make recommendations based on findings.
5. Expected to maintain frequent visitation schedule with all assigned agents and establish the company as the commercial lines provider of choice for the agencies in the territory.
6. Ability to manage heavy workload effectively and backup other team members as needed.
7. Knowledge of regional office strategic direction and plan, including goals and objectives to achieve profit and growth.
Education: Undergraduate degree preferred. Pursuit of technical insurance coursework such as CPCU highly desirable.
Experience: Three years commercial underwriting experience and/or portfolio management.
Knowledge: Requires knowledge of commercial underwriting practices, procedures, and policies. Some knowledge of agency operations and field agency support needs. Working knowledge of sales techniques, loss control and risk management.
Skills/Competencies: Requires strong oral and written communication skills; able to convey the commercial message in a positive manner to agents.
Staffing Exception to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by: Office of Human Resources
Overtime Eligibility: Not eligible, (Exempt)
Working conditions: Requires the ability to relocate, and travel extensively in the field, service centers, agency offices, and customer business locations. Must have and maintain a safe driving record. Must be able to stoop, bend, and climb ladders in performing inspections.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.nationwide.com . Click the "careers" link towards the bottom left side of the page. Click the "Browse for Jobs" button. Click the "Begin Job Search" button. You can now do a detailed job search by inputting the Job Opening ID (9087) which will pull up the job posting. Click the job link to review the job posting and apply on-line. Please note that if you do not have an account, you will need to create one.
Nationwide is a high-performing organization, and we continue to prove it every day. Our Property and Casualty Division sells a unique mix...