Under general direction of the supervisor, will perform clerical duties.
A. A commitment to quality will be demonstrated by prioritizing and identifying awareness of daily tasks and completing them in a timely fashion.
B. May receive, greet and direct patients, visitors and personnel arriving on the unit if the unit coordinator is not at the desk. Addresses the visitor and hospital personnel in an efficient and respectful manner. Respects the dignity for the patient when interacting with the patient in a kind, professional, respectful manner.
C. Answers telephones promptly and identifies unit and self if the unit coordinator is not at the desk, regarding patient call activities, patient location and provides information and direction regarding same.
D. Verbalizes knowledge of code call procedures. Initiates calls as directed (e.g., stat pages, code call, and routine paging of hospital personnel).
E. Respects and maintains confidentiality of all patient information without interfering with effective communication.
F. Demonstrates knowledge of physical, psychological and social dimensions of patients' needs considering developmental and age factors.
G. Maintains each patient record to reflect current data, as well as following through with unit routine. Competency is established by demonstrating the ability to consistently:
• Assemble new patient chart and profile
• File medical record components in designated locations and adds new forms as needed.
• Maintain an advance supply of chart components and profiles for new admissions.
• Verify and/or stamp each form with addressograph plate
• File laboratory findings in the patient's record.
• Dismantle patient record in preparation for discharge and check for completeness of all record components following guidelines.
H. Orders supplies as needed or prior to exhausting existing supplies.
I. Maintains work area in a neat and orderly way.
J. Must successfully attend and complete mandatory annual inservice.
K. Promotes harmonious working relationships among staff and among other disciplines and departments. Competency is established by demonstrating the ability to:
• Assist in the orientation of new personnel on the unit as assigned.
• Utilize tact and diplomacy when interfacing with members of other departments.
L. Observes infection control policies. Competency is established by demonstrating the ability to:
• Utilize infection control policies and procedures in the performance of job.
• Attend educational programming relative to infection control when applicable.
M. Observes safety policies. Competency is established by demonstrating the ability to:
• Review and update knowledge of fire, drill, safety and disaster policies and procedures by participation in safety education program annually.
• Promptly report malfunction of equipment to the nurse in charge.
• Use equipment according to operating instructions and principles of safety and body mechanics.
N. May be required to perform other duties as requested by the nurse manager or unit coordinator
Office type environment on patient care unit. Lifts moderate weight supplies when storing.
High School graduate or equivalent, with at least 6 months to one year of experience in a hospital environment experience.
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary - 23 months ago