Reviews medical record documentation, extracts data, and applies appropriate diagnosis and procedure codes for inpatient and/or outpatient hospital encounters to support hospital billing, internal and external reporting, research and regulatory compliance. Complies with the
ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting as well as other nationally established rules and regulations for coding, and DRG and APC assignment.
EDUCATION, CREDENTIALING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Associate or Bachelor's degree in a CAHIIM accredited health information management program with credentialing as an RHIT or RHIA and 3 years relevant coding experience required; an AHIMA Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) credential with 1 additional year of coding experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree [4 years].
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
1. Knowledge of all of the components of the medical record.
2. Knowledge of ICD-9 codes and DRGs for inpatient coding and/or ICD-9 codes, CPT and HCPCS codes, and APCs for outpatient coding.
3. Working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology.
4. Must be able to type 40 words per minute with extensive PC knowledge.
5. Proficiency with electronic encoder application.
- 2 years ago - save job
During your first day at Houston Methodist, you'll discover what makes us unique: a passion and spirit that serve our patients and mission...