COMMUNITY RELATIONS SPECIALIST III
Directs, plans and implements projects and/or programs supporting CenterPoint Energy’s community outreach and educational involvement initiatives.
- Manages external strategic relationships with community leaders, educational system representatives and nonprofit agency representatives to promote strong customer/client satisfaction, help meet community needs and support Company objectives.
- Forges, maintains and enhances partnerships with the nonprofit and education sectors.
- Identifies opportunities to partner with other corporate entities to meet corporate or organizational goals.
- Represents CenterPoint Energy in the community by serving on the boards or committees of community organizations or by providing advice and assistance to those organizations.
- Creates and/or identifies volunteer and educational opportunities for employees and their families in support of corporate strategies.
- Coordinates and recruits company personnel to participate as volunteers supporting nonprofit or educational activities.
- Plans and implements effective community and/or education outreach projects, including developing and monitoring budgets and measuring and evaluating project results
- Makes public presentations to adults and students on company-related issues.
- Monitors and reports program activities and results to company management and employees.
- Represents the organization on cross-functional work teams and coordinates with other organizations to achieve business goals.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Education, Liberal Arts, Management, Public Relations or Social Work from an accredited college or university.
Requires a minimum of five years’ public communications and/or community relations experience, with emphasis on public speaking and designing and/or coordinating corporate volunteer or other community/nonprofit activities.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Competencies, Certifications, and Licenses:
- Able to develop strong civic involvement and maintain respectful relationships with the community leaders.
- Able to apply excellent organizational and project management skills, including ability to develop strategic action plans and measurements.
- Able to demonstrate strong work ethic and personal integrity.
- Able to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Able to perform mathematics required to perform cost justification analysis, budget development and tracking for community and educational support projects, as well as to explain technical analyses presented to the public on energy-related topics.
- Able to utilize excellent public speaking and written communication skills.
- Able to communicate clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can deliver messages to achieve desired effect.
- Able to recruit and coordinate the activities of volunteers for special programs.
- Able to assess community needs and formulate strategies responsive to community and corporate concerns.
- Able to perform as a team member or leader in a cross-functional team environment and achieve consensus decisions.
- Able to use a personal computer and software such as email, calendaring, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications.
- Able to provide a valid state driver's license, present and maintain a safe driving record and to operate company vehicles safely and in compliance with applicable laws and company policies.
- Able to hear oral communication either in person or on equipment such as telephone or mobile phone.
- Able to communicate orally in a clear manner.
- Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a minimal amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Able to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time.
- Able to operate a personal computer, either desktop or laptop.
- Able to view computer terminal for extended periods of time.
- Able to travel as required to perform job responsibilities.
- Able to operate a motor vehicle, including ability to enter and exit the vehicle unassisted.
Able to demonstrate commitment to compliance with applicable laws and regulations, the Company's Ethics and Compliance Code of Conduct, and other Company policies and procedures and do so consistently, take all required training courses and do so timely. Able to demonstrate respect for all individuals, adhere to the Company's values and business practices and do both consistently.
- Able to work in fast paced environment with daily pressure to meet deadlines.
- Able to perform work indoors in an office environment, regardless of whether cubicle, open office or private office.
- Able to work a varied schedule, including early hours, evenings and/or weekends, to support events and functions.
- Able to travel to attend and participate in events, functions, presentations, meetings, training and conferences and stay overnight as required.
- Able to work out of doors with some exposure to all weather conditions.
May be required to remain in the service area during emergency events and assume responsibilities assigned by the company to aid in restoration efforts. CenterPoint Energy provides an essential public service which vitally affects the health, safety, comfort and general well-being of the people living in the area served by the Company. If any business unit activates an emergency operation plan, because of a threat to the continuation of service to our customers, employees may be called to fulfill an assignment. All employees, whether in their normal job or an emergency operation plan assignment, are essential to successful service restoration. CenterPoint Energy values the role each employee plays in serving the needs of our community.
All applicants must take a pre-employment drug test and obtain a negative result as a condition of employment. In addition to a pre-employment test, employees performing job functions regulated by the Department of Transportation (i.e. safety-sensitive functions) are subject to random drug and/or alcohol testing. Other testing (post-accident, reasonable cause, return-to-duty, follow-up, or return-to-work) may be required in accordance with work-related conditions.
Communications & Public Affairs - Community Relations
United States-Texas-Houston-CenterPoint Energy Tower
Apr 25, 2013, 1:52:00 PM
Posting End Date
May 2, 2013, 12:57:00 PM
CenterPoint Energy - 22 months ago
CenterPoint Energy pivots around its core operations which include power and gas distribution utilities, and natural gas pipeline,...