The Coordinator of Field Experiences works collaboratively, on behalf of the All College Teacher Education Committee ( ACTEC ), with faculty members in the Ithaca College teacher education programs and with administrators, teachers, and other school district personnel on placement and assessment of student field-based experiences, supporting the department-based programs as appropriate to their needs. The Coordinator serves as the College edTPA liaison, working with NYSED , school district partners, IC supervising faculty, and student teachers to insure that teacher candidates are able to complete the edTPA as required. The Coordinator provides oversight and management of the data collection process for student clinical experiences and internship processes; coordinates the assessments of field experiences (students, mentor teachers, and faculty); and submits detailed records of students’ field-based experiences to the NCATE records specialist, NCATE coordinator, and program coordinators. The Coordinator also serves as College liaison for field placement details between partner schools and IC faculty and students; builds and maintains relationships with local school administrators and teachers; participates in outreach to local schools; and supports faculty in exploring regional placement possibilities for hard-to-place content fields. The Coordinator participates in campus service opportunities related to field-based experience and Education outreach.
1. Establish and maintain regular contact with the coordinators of Ithaca College teacher education programs and faculty members teaching courses with field-based experience requirements in order to assist with the placement of students in appropriate field experiences.
2. Coordinate edTPA activities and requirements for all teacher education candidates at the College: negotiate with school partners to insure teacher candidate access to and permissions for videotaping in classrooms; provide professional development workshops and other opportunities for cooperating teachers; assist teacher candidates in understanding edTPA requirements and processes for materials submission; serve as liaison with NYSED in order to communicate policy and implementation requirements to teacher candidates, supervising faculty, and school partners; research and communicate effective edTPA practices through membership in TPAC online, attending professional development workshops, webinars, and conferences.
3. Interact with public school teachers and administrators to arrange and coordinate field experiences for students in Ithaca College teacher education programs, depending on program area. Solicit participation of school-based teachers and administrators as partners in field experiences. In collaboration with program coordinators, explore regional or national placement possibilities in high-needs schools and for students in hard-to-place content areas. Serve as primary point of contact with local school HR departments and administration; answer questions, communicate requests for placements, resolve problems.
4. Coordinate all assessments and evaluations connected to early field experiences: in collaboration with program coordinators, develop and implement electronic assessment and evaluation instruments for use by students, faculty, and mentor teachers to facilitate effective data collection for NCATE and ACTEC program assessment purposes; monitor and track student submission of field observation forms; insure confidentiality and validity of evaluations of students by mentor teachers, of faculty supervisors by mentor teachers, of students by faculty supervisors, and of mentor teachers by faculty and students.
5. Oversee integration of assessment and evaluation forms with program-specific databases and with IC’s electronic portfolio system and student information system, insuring integrity and accuracy of data. Provide reports and data on student placements to program coordinators and NCATE coordinator and records specialist as required; following defined guidelines, analyze assessment data to ensure that students’ early field-based experiences meet College and accreditors’ diversity requirements; if requested, assist in making adjustments to placements based on data analysis.
6. Manage administrative tasks associated with the coordination of field-based experiences, including preparing and processing field experience paperwork for Ithaca College students and faculty members, school-based mentor/cooperating teachers and administrators, and program coordinators. Ensure students meet requirements for experiences (e.g., fingerprinting clearances) prior to placement.
7. Provide or coordinate orientations for cooperating/mentor teachers every semester, as required by programs; provide teachers with specific details about the requirements of each field experience and the curricular goals of these opportunities. Serve as a liaison between the faculty coordinators/supervisors and cooperating teachers, as needed
8. If required by the program, assist faculty in matching student schedules with availability of school-based teachers and personnel; manage logistics of student transportation to school locations for field-based classes.
9. Maintain website or other online sources of information for Ithaca College teacher education students, mentor teachers, and faculty related to field-based experiences, including updating policy statements and providing data summaries as appropriate to the program.
10. Provide coordination and support, as needed, for the activities of the Unit Education Advisory Committee and other outreach activities between ACTEC and school-based collaborators.
Position/Job Responsibilities continued
Bachelor’s Degree and five years experience in an educational setting; excellent attention to detail; strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; previous experience working with data and in-depth knowledge of database and spreadsheet programs, electronic portfolio and/or content management systems; ability to prioritize projects and handle multiple tasks; ability to develop professional relationships and work collaboratively with others. Master’s degree and/or classroom teaching experience in grades P-12 preferred; familiarity with NYSED policies preferred.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested individuals must apply online at apply.icjobs.org and attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three (3) professional references. Questions about online application may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Review of applications will begin immediately. To ensure full consideration, complete applications should be received by March 15, 2013.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.