Performs a variety of routine tasks, such as providing basic social services information, transports, supervises and monitors probationers participating in Community Service Restitution (CSR) work programs at designated locations. Maintains records of probationer's CSR hours and documentation of activities preformed.
This is the first in a series of two social services-related job classifications within the Social Services job family. This classification is responsible for performing basic paraprofessional social services support services assisting clients and other social services staff. This classification is distinguished from the Social Services Assistant class which performs a greater variety and complexity of tasks which require additional program knowledge and greater variety in prescribed procedures. T his classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides basic social services information and forms to clients. Answers routine questions, provides pamphlets and other program information, and refers clients to appropriate social services staff for further information and assistance.
- Transports clients to and from medical and social services appointments.
- Assists in supervising and documenting client visitations with eligible family members.
- Assists in the preparation of case activity notes and reports.
- Assists in data collection, data entry and organization, and maintenance of case files.
- Performs administrative duties, such as providing information to clients over the phone, preparing routine correspondence and processing incoming mail for case files.
- Assists in compiling, monitoring, documenting and maintaining statistical and other information and records.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND one (1) year experience in social services;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License and valid automobile liability insurance.
Must attend Defensive Driving course every two years.
Work assignments are mainly outdoors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- One (1) year supervisory experience
- Experience in driving a Fifteen (15) passenger van and in pulling a trailer
- Social services experience with a high level of client contact
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Local social services, organizations and programs and the resources available.
- Modern office/clerical practices, procedures and methods.
- File management and techniques.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Federal, State and Local program laws and requirements.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Operating a variety of modern office equipment, including a computer.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Work effectively and courteously under high-pressure circumstances.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
- Work assignments are mainly outdoors.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 25 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, driving, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, driving, client/customer contact, and squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 7:00 AM to 2:30 PM, Saturday and Sunday, every other weekend
This is a temporary position with an ending date of September 30, 2014.
Location: Various County Facilities
Department: Community Supervision and Corrections- Adult Probation
Criminal, Driving and Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 18 months ago