Next Step Living is a socially-conscious, environmentally focused, results-driven company dedicated to making it easy for our customers lower their energy bills, increase the comfort of their homes, and reduce their environmental impact.
We are looking for positive and outgoing leaders who are passionate about energy and the environment to lead team of door-to-door canvassers who will inspire members of the public to take action to save energy and the environment while reducing their bills. Along with your team of canvassers, you will be going door-to-door in residential neighborhoods speaking to members of targeted households about Next Step Living’s full range of energy saving products and services including the Connecticut Home Energy Solutions energy assessment, solar power, efficient heating and cooling systems and more. You will work alongside your team to help potential customers identify technologies and programs that are appropriate for them, collect contact information and schedule customers for home assessments. Full training is provided.
In addition to leading by example through consistently excellent individual performance, Canvass Team Leads are responsible for managing a team of 5-10 canvassers. Event Outreach Team Leads will meet weekly with the Canvass Manager to develop strategies for approaching the specific areas where we will be conducting outreach and to ensure staff are performing at or above expectations.
We are looking for passionate, mission driven and results oriented managers who lead by example as well as challenge and support our teams by giving them the tools they need to succeed. This is a fulltime benefits eligible position some weekend work is required. Successful Canvass Team Leads can make $15-30 per hour.
Canvass Team Leads report directly to the Canvass Manager and are responsible for leading teams of 5- 10 canvassers into the field on a daily basis, setting the team up for success, training and managing their team, enforcing standards and expectations, and leading by example.
The responsibilities of team leads can be divided up into four categories: individual performance, staff management and training, and territory management.
Team leads first and foremost should lead by example by consistently performing above expectations during their own time in the field. This includes:
- Consistently booking at least .5 visits per day above the team average
- Following the canvass script and standard practice, as well as working with the Canvass Manager to continually update and refine those practices.
- Demonstrating professionalism in all aspects of their performance in the field including attitude, appearance and relationship with other staff.
Team leads are responsible for managing a team of 5-10 staff on a daily basis and setting those staff up for success night in and night out. Team leads will help improve the performance of staff in the field by:
Training & Development:
- Driving their team out to their territories on a nightly basis (or managing the car ride) ensuring all staff get to their territories safely, and in a timely manner.
- Setting goals for the team, and individual staff’s performance in the field, and holding staff accountable to those goals.
- Using the car ride to help teach skills, prepare staff for the day, and foster positive attitudes and team dynamics.
- Communicating and driving overall goals and priorities for the team which are set with the leadership team
Team leads are responsible for helping build the skills of the canvassers in their team by:
- Helping the Canvass Manager run all staff trainings during weekly canvass meetings.
- Reinforcing those trainings through practice during car rides, and through pick-up and drop-off conversations.
- Training and demonstrating good practices by canvassing with new staff.
- Working with the Canvass Manager to set daily and weekly goals for team members and holding staff accountable for those goals through drop-off and pick-up conversations and communicating any problems to the Canvass Manager.
- Working with the Canvass Manager to develop new training as needed.
Team leaders are responsible for managing the territory for their teams so that we make the best possible use of our existing territory, as well as finding and opening new territory. This involves:
- Working with the Canvass Manager and Canvass Coordinator to secure all permits necessary to canvass in specific towns and territories.
- Working with their canvass team to track usage of territory, to ensure that we move through territory efficiently to maximize each town and prioritize areas where staff can be successful.
- Develop plans to reach as many rated homes as possible in areas where roofs are pre-rated.
Team leads also play a critical role in the management of the overall team, and helping that team improve performance and hit or exceed goals and projections. Team Leads:
- Work with the Canvass Manager and other team leads to run weekly staff meetings and trainings.
- Participate in weekly team leadership meetings.
- Communicate closely with the Canvass Manager to identify and solve problems, ensure smooth logistics and identify and develop new leaders on the team.
- Implement priorities and meet or exceed goals though daily management of their team.
- Talented manager, good listener, and organized problem solver with excellent communication skills.
- Must be outgoing and motivated to educate the public about energy efficiency and help people take action.
- Must be a quick learner and able to think on your feet while managing multiple staff, projects and priorities.
- 1-3 years of experience with canvassing, political organizing, door-to-door sales or community outreach. Management experience in these settings is a big plus.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must be comfortable working with computers including word processing; spreadsheets; databases; and contact management software.
- Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Knowledge of multiple languages, especially Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin and Cantonese a big plus.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and carry up to 40 lbs.
Next Step Living TM is the leading residential energy efficiency company in New England, making it easy for homeowners to reduce their carbon footprint and lower their utility bills. Founded in 2008 with four employees in Boston, Next Step Living now has more than 500 results-oriented professionals motivated by the opportunity to make a difference. Most of them work in our headquarters in the Boston Seaport District. For more information, please visit NextStepLiving.com .
Next Step Living - 18 months ago