Car Repair Apprentice
Reports to: Manager Of Operations Department/Location: Norfolk
Rev. Level: 0 Division: M-Bar-D
Safely repair railcars according to the AAR, FRA, and company guidelines
- Perform railcar inspections and repairs in compliance with AAR, FRA, and company standards
- Perform work in safe and efficient manner
- Participate in meeting objectives for safety, quality and profitability
- Follow all company and applicable railroad policies and procedures
- Maintain good housekeeping of equipment and site
- Assist in maintaining inventories of railcar parts
- Conduct preventive maintenance and repair of equipment as required.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. with or without reasonable accommodation
- Must wear PPE (hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, steel toed boots) as needed
- Outside seasonal conditions.
- Ability to work in heat, cold, rain, and snow.
- Shop environment including assembly, welding, and fork trucks.
- Must be able to complete the 54 Railway Education Bureau Lessons
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Knowledge of railroad industry a plus
- Some travel including air travel
- Ability to solve practical problems
- Proficient in welding and cutting torch use
- Valid driver’s license
- Team Player
- Detail oriented
- Equipment operating experience a plus (forklift, skidsteer)
Wage Type: Hourly Non-Exempt