EB&V’s Carbon Solutions offer is a business-based, integrated approach to identifying and managing carbon risk and value, including reducing the cost of compliance, improving competitiveness, extending life of facilities and ensuring continued license to operate. Our business is innovation; new technologies, emerging businesses and alternative ways of thinking. We do this by:
- Protecting and enhancing BP's core business via an integrated Carbon Solutions offer
- Building emerging businesses and a commercially viable ventures’ portfolio for BP
- Supporting BP’s businesses by engaging the BP Ventures team who have ~$150m invested in over 29 companies and carbon funds, and who bring a venturing approach to technology innovation and access
- Driving breakthrough carbon abatement technologies that will generate long-term returns
- Investing in primary carbon offsets and pre-compliance mechanisms to deliver business value
The Carbon Management Project Lead is responsible for providing project management, technical, commercial, and policy/regulatory support for the development of Carbon Management Plans for BP businesses, and the implementation of the Carbon Solutions business strategy, focusing on North America.
Of key importance for this candidate will be their ability to develop clear plans from a significant amount of uncertainty that ensures BP remains in-control of current & future carbon risks. This will be performed by using best practice tools for evaluation and mitigation of risks (project, technology, commercial, policy/regulations), communicating through the common process framework which is consistent across BP’s businesses, and ensuring compliance with local BU operating management standards.
The project team will comprise of engineers, geoscientists, technologists, commercial, policy and regulatory specialists that report to the Resource and Projects Manager. The candidate will therefore need to be proficient in their ability to engage, influence, and lead this team, without necessary having direct supervisory responsibilities.
The project lead will need to be able to form and maintain strong relationships with numerous internal and external stakeholders, and in particular with the BP business the project is being undertaken with. Responsibilities also include:
- Represent the BU on regulatory consultations to internal and external stakeholders, focussing on North American regulatory bodies
- Provide consistent, high quality advice to BU and E&P management and commercial teams in assessing Carbon Management Plans and Solutions.
- Represent the team and AE internally within BP
- Represent BP externally as appropriate (e.g. to the US EPA, or Alberta Energy)
Provide near term value to the Carbon Solution team by:
- Leading and successfully delivering the agreed 2013 work plans.
- Providing advice and mentoring to team members.
Build long term value in BP and the Carbon Solution team by:
- Assisting with the identification & securing of other relevant CMP’s within the N. America region.
- Providing expertise/support as appropriate for policy/regulatory advice groups.
- Working with BP Upstream and Downstream business and Technology groups to identify applicable technologies that could be applied as part of Carbon Solutions offer to BP BU’s
Relevant post-graduate degree in engineering or applied science
Essential experience and job requirements
- Significant track record of previous industry experience, including period of management in technical and/or business delivery environments.
- A solid understanding of the commercial drivers in BP generally and in the wider emerging low-Carbon energy sector landscape
- Good networks into the relevant governmental, academic and industry contributors to the development of low-carbon energy are an advantage.
- Demonstrated relationship management experience – with a proven track record of building complex relationships across stakeholders with differing objectives
- Demonstrated ability to build & utilize networks and influence others at highest levels, both within and outside BP.
- Demonstrated ability to work well and together with peers for common business objectives.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to work with uncertainty, and solve complex problems
Other essential skills and knowledge
- Must be fluent in English
- Ability to live and work in the US (based in Houston)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Front-end Project Management & Development experience in Low-Carbon Energy Sector
- Relevant post graduate business/commercial qualification
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Yes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
BP Alternative Energy invests in new ways of providing customers with clean, secure energy. Launched in 2005, it comprises BP’s biofuels and wind businesses as well as the company’s corporate venturing activities — with a total investment of $7 billion over seven years. These activities will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades.
If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
BP is an equal opportunity employer.
23:59 (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
BP - 30+ days ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business segments...