POSITION : Career Adviser
SALARY RANGE : $34,000-$36,000
PERIOD OF APPOINTMENT : Full-time, 12-month fixed term
PROJECTED START DATE : June 15, 2013
Provide career advising services to students and alumni; guide students individually and in group setting. Through successful internship- and job-search efforts; advise students/alumni individually and in group to promote self- awareness, career planning, job/internship-search strategies, and preparation for the world of work; collaborate with academic departments, student services, and student groups to identify needs and develop targeted programming and services to diverse UO students and alumni; provide supervision, direction and training to customer service/organizational development student interns.
- Bachelor’s Degree in major related to career services (e.g., Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Human Resources, Education, or related area)
- 2 years' experience advising or serving diverse populations in support of career development in educational setting
- Demonstrated experience with and/or commitment to working effectively with students, parents, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds, in support of an inclusive and welcoming environment
- Knowledge of the career development process and job/internship-search strategies
- Demonstrated interpersonal, presentation, and organizational skills and demonstrated ability to set and achieve goals
- Creativity, initiative and positive attitude in carrying out responsibilities
- Ability to collaborate, build a team as needed and lead team efforts, as well as be an actively contributing team member
DESCRIPTION OF THE UNIVERSITY
- Demonstrated experience with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and Strong Interest Inventory
- Career services experience in a higher education setting
Located 110 miles south of Portland, the University of Oregon has an enrollment of 20,000. The Eugene metro area (pop. 215,000) is in a region noted for its dynamic quality of life and progressive cultural environment. We are about an hour's drive from the Pacific coast and the Cascade mountains. The University is an AAU research institution and a member of the Pac-10 conference.
Please submit the following documents in this order:
Cover letter that expresses your interest in the position.
Current resume, including dates of employment.
Completed Unclassified Employment Application, available at http://ups.uoregon.edu/sites/ups.uoregon.edu/files/ups/EmplAppShort%20rev.pdf
The name, email address and telephone number of three professional references. Confidentiality will be maintained until candidates reach finalist stage of search.
Responses to supplemental questions listed below.
Electronic submissions are preferred and should be sent via email to Kate Werdebaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org as one single PDF attachment in the order listed above (not in the body of the email).
Important: Reference Posting “13074 - Career Adviser Search” in your application submission.
Paper applications can be sent to:
University of Oregon Career Center
1200 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1200
To be assured of full consideration, complete application materials must be received by 5:00 pm, April 19, 2013. Position will remain open until filled. Finalist must successfully complete criminal background check and educational degree verification.
To assist us in selecting a Career Adviser, please respond to the following questions individually and completely, limiting each response to no more than one page:
Please articulate how you meet the requirements of the position.
The Division of Student Affairs is intentionally creating a multicultural organization that actively includes and engages everyone. What does this mean to you and, if you are selected as the Career Adviser, how will you help us achieve this goal?
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the American with Disabilities Act. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to promote a diverse learning and working environment are encouraged to apply.