Career Resource Specialist
Rock Creek Campus
17705 NW Springville Rd.
Hours of Work
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
If Other, Please Specify
Academic Professional; Level 3; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range
2013/2014 Salary Range: $40,575/yr to $69,165/yr. (see "Additional Posting Information" section for details)
Job Close Date
Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
The Career Resource Center Specialist is responsible for providing a broad range of career information resources and services to students, faculty, staff and the community. Incumbents advise, and implement programs or activities for students that support career exploration and development, as well as transfer research and planning. Additionally, the Specialist will assist the Career Resource Center Coordinator with planning and developing of services and resources.
For a complete job description see: http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/academic-pro-jobs/coop-ed-student-employment-spec.html
1. Advise students, including those in special programs, on occupational and college exploration.
2. Provide students with information on the full range of resources available for their career and college seeking support.
2. Administer and interpret the DISCOVER and CIS Career Inventories.
3. Conduct classroom presentations
4. Assist in outreach to specific student populations as determined by need of campus.
5. Present and facilitate seminars and/or workshops for students.
6. Assist Career Center Coordinator with programming and activities, as well as on-campus outreach activities.
7. Work with the Career Center Coordinator in developing and maintaining various online and print materials and to identify ongoing resource needs for the Center.
8. Attend and participate in district, campus, department and program meetings and activities.
9. Maintain current knowledge and skills in and other relevant fields through regular participation in professional development activities.
10. Serve students with respect for diversity and without discrimination based on race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation or marital status.
11. Provide career advising and exploration.
12. Provide leadership for student group.
The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
Bachelor's degree in Education, Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Communications or related field (experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis).
Demonstrated experience in an educational setting working with or instructing/advising students or experience in a business setting performing employment, selection, placement or related function.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Knowledge of: educational institutions, curriculum development and non-traditional instruction methods; Equal Employment Opportunity laws and other local, state, and federal laws pertaining to employment; current labor market trends; effective training techniques and adult learning theory; marketing techniques.
Skill in: instruction and curriculum development; operating a computer and various supporting software packages and a variety of office equipment; effective group facilitation.
Ability to: work with a diverse student population; prioritize and manage multiple projects or to quickly change priorities; make public presentations in a small or large group setting; effectively communicate in oral and written form.
- Two years of professional experience in the area of career advisement or career exploration, and/or working in a Career Center within educational setting.
- Knowledge of online career programs and resources.
- Experience researching and interpreting occupational and college data.
- Knowledge of career development and planning.
- Demonstrated experience working with students in a post secondary environment (preferable community college.)
- Committed to diversity and values and utilizes diverse approaches to advising the wide range of community college students.
- Experience presenting information to groups.
- Committed to professional growth.
- Experience supervising or co-supervising student leaders or students groups.
Additional Posting Information
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
"Career Resource Specialist" is the working title for this position; the formal title in the PCC job classification system is "Cooperative Education/Student Employment Specialist"
- Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied for new Academic Professionals.
- Upon hire candidate will be required to supply official copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Effective January 1, 2014, all applicants hired by the college will be required to reimburse PCC for the cost of their criminal background check, through payroll deduction.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Faculty/Academic Professional Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting
Full Time/Part Time
PCC Employees Only?
CommunityCollegeJobs.com - 30+ days ago