RECRUITMENT AND EXAMINATION ANNOUNCEMENT
*** OPEN RECRUITMENT ***
TITLE: CARPENTER SKILLED TRADE SPECIALIST II - (4804)
SALARY RANGE: $32,733-$51,575
CLOSING DATE: February 11, 2013
DESCRIPTION: This is the journey level of work in the skilled trade of Carpentry for the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT). Employees perform work in accordance with all applicable Local, State and Federal regulations and standard practices or rules governing the Carpentry trade. Some duties include: examining blueprints, drawings, sketches, and specifications to determine materials, equipment, and manpower estimates; erecting and building partitions and scaffolding; repairing and building cabinets, concrete forms, countertops, desks, fences, partitions, railings, sheds, shelves, shingle roofs, stairs, tables, and temporary barricades. Employees are responsible for reading job specifications or work orders submitted by supervisors/contractors to complete various assignments. Employees are required to effectively use and maintain tools and machinery related to the Carpentry trade, and inspects and performs preventive maintenance using equipment/materials according to OSHA guidelines. Employees are considered essential employees and are subject to emergency call back procedures, twenty-four hours a day, as may be required in order to maintain continuous operation of a facility. Employees may be required to lift weight that exceeds 50 lbs., work rotating shift work, to include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. The current vacancy exists at the Maryland Aviation Administration (MAA) in Anne Arundel County. The eligible list produced from the Skilled Trade Specialist (Carpenter) II recruitment may be utilized for future openings at other MDOT administrations.
EDUCATION: Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
EXPERIENCE: Four years of Carpentry experience.
NOTES: 1. Additional work experience as a Carpenter may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required
2. A certificate from a vocational technical school in the related trade may be substituted for one year of the required general experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATES, SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Candidates appointed to positions in these classifications are assigned duties that require the operation of motor vehicles. Employees are required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland. All applicants must list their license number and expiration date on the application.
2. During the probationary period, employees may be required to obtain and maintain a Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) valid in the State of Maryland, depending on the type of equipment operated.
3. Employees at the Maryland Aviation Administration must have or obtain an Airfield Operators Permit in accordance with the Code of Maryland Regulations 11.03.01.04, Control of Vehicular Traffic on the Air Operations Area, prior to permanent appointment.
4. The employing administration may require employees to satisfy its agency training and certification program requirements to obtain and maintain permanent status in this classification.
5. Other special requirements may apply.
TO APPLY: You must complete a MDOT application to be considered for this recruitment. RESUMES CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE MDOT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for. Qualified applicants may be subject to background and reference checks. The examination for this recruitment may be an evaluation and rating of the information you provide on your application. Therefore it is important that you provide complete and accurate information.
For an application, please call 410-865-1073. Mail your application to: Recruitment and Examinations Unit, 7201 Corporate Center Drive, Mail Stop 140, Hanover, MD 21076, or you may apply online at https://jobs.mdot.state.md.us. Your application must received by 2/11/13. Postmarks will not be accepted.
Applications sent without sufficient postage will not be accepted and will be returned. Applications sent through interoffice mail that are not received by the closing date will not be accepted. Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disability will be provided upon request. Please notify in advance. MD Relay Service Number (711). Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
The Maryland Department of Transportation is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform
Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees, all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer. The incumbent in this position may be a member of a covered bargaining unit and, may be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MDOT does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Issue Date: January 25, 2013
MDOT is in the real estate business!