The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is a private, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance to help leaders in government and civil society improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. The Guardianship Project, one of Vera ’s demonstration projects, provides model guardianship services to older adults and people with disabilities who have been adjudicated as incapacitated by a court and lack family or friends able or willing to care for them. The Project, which has offices in Kings and Queens County, serves a culturally diverse and primarily indigent population residing throughout New York City. The project employs a team of professionals, including lawyers, social workers, and property and financial managers, who collaborate to provide effective services and advocacy to ensure clients ’ well-being, safety, and the greatest degree of independence possible, within the least restrictive environment. Guardianship practice generally covers a wide range of issues, including but not limited to foreclosures, public benefits, landlord/tenant law, real estate management and transactions, estate planning, medical decision-making, financial exploitation, elder abuse, and crisis management. Project staff routinely addresses challenging and emotionally charged issues, such as end-of-life decision-making and protecting clients from physical and financial neglect and abuse. |
Vera seeks a Case Manager for The Guardianship Project, who will:
- Assess clients and their homes;
- Monitor services through monthly home visits;
- Arrange for an array of services to address medical and social needs;
- Coordinate and implement client discharges from institutions to the community;
- Coordinate and participate in consultations with project attorneys and medical staff on decisions involving routine and end-of-life medical care;
- Apply for and maintain government and private benefits for clients;
- Work with clients ’ families and significant others;
- Keep timely and detailed records.
- Home visits are a critical component of our service, and case managers travel throughout the five boroughs to see clients, their families, and other professionals.
- The Case Manager shares the responsibility for 24-hour emergency phone coverage on a rotating basis with the rest of the case management team; however, evening and weekend work is not often required.
- Master ’s degree in social work, counseling, or other related field strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated interest in social justice for underserved populations;
- Experience working with the elderly and/or people with developmental disabilities desirable;
- Familiarity with public and private benefits available in NYC; experience applying for and maintaining benefits strongly preferred;
- Ability to work with a diverse and challenging population;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Creativity, flexibility, patience, and follow-through;
- Excellent organization skills and ability to work in a team environment;
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred;
- Final candidates will be subject to a criminal and financial background check.
$38,000 to $42,000, depending upon education and experience. Excellent benefits and ongoing educational opportunities are an additional plus.
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Electronic submission through Vera ’s application system is preferred. However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to the address below. Please use only one method (electronic, mail, or fax) of submission. Please do not email applications.
ATTN: Human Resources / TGP Case Manager Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Flr.
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera or The Guardianship Project, please visit our website, www.vera.org.
Vera Institute of Justice - 23 months ago