SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
The Casework Assistant Intern will assist casework staff in providing services to newly arriving refugees. Interns must be willing to lean about IRC, both worldwide and local operations, and learn about refugee clients and their cultures. Interns will work closely with newly arrived refugees, which will require them to be sensitive to the cultural and personality differences of clients and aware of the proper boundaries for interaction. The Casework Assistant Intern will communicate regularly with IRC staff. This is an unpaid internship.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Assist casework staff with reception services to clients, including setting up apartments for new arrivals; assisting clients with application for Social Security and state identification cards; teaching clients how to cash checks and use public transportation; assisting clients with medical appointments, grocery shopping, and school; and preparing forms and paperwork.
- Display sensitivity to cultural and personality differences of refugee clients. Respect their beliefs and values.
- Maintain proper boundaries with clients, and refer issues regarding employment, social services, and health care to appropriate staff members
- Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
- Communicate effectively in person and by telephone
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Reliable and flexible
- Willing to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
- Willing to learn about cross-cultural communication and ethnic backgrounds of clients.
- Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies.
- Computer skills preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language preferred.
Time commitment: 15+ hours per work week. There is a 12-week minimum requirement for our internships.
Please apply using our online system. You can also prioritize your application by sending your resume, cover letter, and contact info for 2 references directly to Milagros.Cruz@Rescue.org with the following information listed in the cover letter:
- internship(s) for which you wish to be considered (please provide a ranking of desired internships if you wish to be considered for multiple opportunities)
- projected start/end date (noting that we have a 3-month minimum for our internships)
- days and number of hours of availability during the work week (for example: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9am-5pm)
- whether or not you would have access to a car in which you would be willing to drive with the refugees and asylees we serve to access social services
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their...