Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable base on experience
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Manager, Dining Services
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The Memorial Union operates a multi-unit dining operation consisting of full-service catering and banquets, retail operations with a variety of food concepts, convenience store, satellite operations, and athletic concessions. As a member of the Memorial Union management team, plan, coordinate, execute, supervise and evaluate all the activities of a fast-paced, hospitality-centered operation. Manage the strategic and day-to-day operations of Memorial Union Banquets and Catering. Provide excellent customer service to a wide variety of customers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Consult with customers on all details of catering and banquets ensuring that customer requirements for staffing, delivery and service are met in a consistent and high quality manner.
2. Hire, train, supervise, and schedule staff.
3. Plan and coordinate details of all catered events and banquets (staff, furniture, equipment, linens, menu, etc.) with Memorial Union Building staff, MTU campus personnel or other vendors.
4. Coordinate the preparation, organization, delivery, set up and serving of food and associated items, per customer’s catering requests. Coordinate pick-up and clean-up of items and/or facilities after events.
5. Prepare production orders, pre-cost and post-cost reports, billings, customer follow-ups, price quotes and other correspondence as necessary.
6. Coordinate food, supplies, and equipment needs for catering/banquet operations with Executive Chef.
7. Collaborate with Executive Chef and Dining Services managers in writing creative menus, developing product specifications, and setting service standards for catering/banquet operation.
8. Maintain a flexible schedule so as to work major catered events while still completing all other work responsibilities.
9. Ensure high visibility and availability to clients and employees.
10. Develop staff skills through training, supervision, and evaluation.
11. Market banquet and catering services.
12. Meet or exceed established revenue and performance goals.
13. Manage alcoholic beverage service including preparing bar billings, balancing event usage inventory to cash sales, conducting weekly physical inventories of liquor and bar supplies, and placing orders for beer, wine, liquor and bar supplies.
14. Maintain safe, clean, sanitary storage and work areas including equipment and delivery vehicles.
15. Maintain excellent client and employee communications to continuously improve the quality of provided services and to resolve problems.
16. Assist with establishing department policies/procedures and ensure that all university policies are followed.
17. Attend departmental operational and planning meetings.
18. Participate in strategic decision making for the Memorial Union.
19. Understand and apply the vision, mission, and value system of Auxiliary Services when dealing with a diverse population of internal and external customers.
20. Assist in other Memorial Union operational areas as needed.
21. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
22. Encourage continuous improvement practices among employees.
23. Integrate safety practices into daily activities.
24. Identify safety-related knowledge, skills, abilities, and training needed for positions and opportunities for continuous learning and improvement of safety.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• Bachelor’s degree in food service management, business administration, culinary arts or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• One year catering and/or banquet experience.
• Two years’ experience serving customers.
• Supervisory or management experience in food production and service.
• Experience managing an alcoholic beverage service.
• Experience and proficiency with personal computers and basic software applications including spreadsheet and word processing programs.
• Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Michigan driver’s license as a condition of employment.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Progressive supervisory experience in a college/university, hotel, or conference center setting.
• Applied food service sanitation certification, SERVSAFE , and/or HACCP federal guideline certification.
• Experience with computerized menu management systems, electronic order entry systems.
• Facility management experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and oral/written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with a diverse group of individuals.
• Demonstrated ability to obtain ServSafe certification within six month of employment.
• Demonstrated understanding of current culinary market/trends and creative food presentation.
• Demonstrated willingness and ability to work a continuously flexible schedule including days, evenings, and weekends with varying days off to support a seven-day-a-week dining operation.
• Demonstrated organization and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of general accounting, budgeting, and financial procedures.
• Must be able to obtain a valid Michigan driver’s license and meet Michigan Tech’s vehicle use requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
• Demonstrated leadership of safety principles and practices.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training: **
• Employee Safety Overview
• Sexual Harassment Training
• Annual Data Security Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...