POSITION: Catering Manager
DEPARTMENT: Food and Beverage
REPORTS TO: Director of Food and Beverage, Assistant General Manager
FLSA STATUS: Salaried Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Catering Manager at the Baton Rouge River Center. The Catering Manager is responsible for the overall operation and management of the Catering Department. This is hands-on position that requires excessive interaction with clients as well as staff. The Catering Manager will report to the Director of Food and Beverage
- Will be required to manage the catered event from inception to settlement.
- Will follow all policies and guidelines set forth in the SMG Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Responsible for maintaining sanitation standards in compliance with city and state laws, as well as, departmental and HACCP policies.
- Monitors service standards to consistently provide five- star hospitality, ensuring total guest satisfaction.
- Sells, plans and executes events ranging in size and complexity from single-day functions to large scale, multi day, events/social gatherings.
- Ensures detailed record keeping and documentation for all aspects of the operation, and assists in the event settlement with appropriate departments.
- Will be required to maintain an inventory of catering equipment and supplies.
- Must have the ability to work in a team environment with the staff of a diverse Food and Beverage Department.
- Interviews and hires potential candidates to fill vacant catering positions.
- Schedules/assigns work schedules based on event volume.
- Will set job expectations and will provide training for all catering staff in the service and presentation of food as well as coach, counsel, direct and coordinate staff.
- Must be knowledgeable of the catering menu and be able to take catering orders, conduct business correspondence, and effectively present information to the client.
- Must have the ability to perform efficiently in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must have the ability to search for data or information in computer files, generate standard reports developed by others, input or edit information, and/or enter data into spreadsheets or programs developed by others, and design and/or program spreadsheets or custom reports.
- Will establish and maintain par levels of linen inventory.
- Work with vendors to ensure best pricing available as well as accuracy of items ordered.
- Coordinate with management peers the placement of service areas and bars used for catering events.
- Must be able to read, write and perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must be able to communicate to superiors, peers, subordinates and clients in an effective manner.
- Must be a graduate from an accredited college or university with a degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Management, Culinary Arts program or 5 years related catering management work experience.
- Must be Serve Safe Certified and must obtain a City Parish Responsible Vendor card.
- Must have valid Driver’s License and Social Security card.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, and may be required to move items and or equipment in excess of 50 pounds.
- Must have strong leadership, personal selling, negotiation and oral communication skills
- Must have the ability to use standard office equipment including desktop computers, calculators, fax/ copier
- Must possess the ability to perform efficiently in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Must be able to search for data or information in computer files, generate standard reports developed by others, input or edit information, and/or enter data into spreadsheets or programs developed by others, and design and/or program spreadsheets or custom reports
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Resumes must include salary requirements for
consideration, and may be sent to:
Baton Rouge River Center
275 S. River Rd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
No Phone Calls
SMG is an Equal Opportunity Employee
SMG World - 2 years ago