This position performs skilled cement finishing work primarily on flat surfaces including sidewalks, curbs, gutters, streets, and block work. Responsibilities include setting forms, pouring, tamping, and finishing concrete in the completion of street intersections and airport locations. Cement Finishers also install and grout concrete pipes, set steel and wooden forms for concrete, and direct pouring, tamping and finish concrete using screeds and floats. This position may act as a crew leader and may drive trucks to transport employees, materials and equipment to and from job locations. Cement finishing work must be performed in accordance with accepted standards and practices such as the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Maricopa Association of Governments (
). Currently there is one vacancy in the Street Transportation Department. This eligible list may be used by any department for any current or future vacancies over the life of the eligible list.
Recruitment closes February 25, 2013. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
$18.31 - $23.48 hourly / $38,085 - $48,838 annually. Actual salary may vary depending on the position/division/department.
– The job requirements listed above, plus:
- One year experience as a journeyman cement finisher or completion of a recognized apprenticeship program in cement finishing.
- An equivalent combination of relevant experience and education may be considered.
- For positions in the Street Transportation Department, individuals will be required to pass an Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) medical examination, and possess a class A Commercial Driver License Instructional Permit with a Tank Vehicle (N) endorsement at the time of hire.
- For positions in the Aviation Department, a Class D Driver’s License is required.
- All positions in the Aviation Department require individuals to pass a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check prior to hire.
- Working irregular hours, second and/or third shifts, weekends, holidays, and evenings may be required.
- Moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds may be required.
- Requires working outside in a variety of environmental extremes such as heat, cold, rain, air pollution, and dust.
- Requires walking for prolonged periods which may include walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces.
- Three to five years of actively working as a cement finisher, preferably at journeyman level.
- Experience working with level and transit to set grade elevation, forming and finishing sidewalks, curbs and gutters, pole foundations, catch basins, and storm drain structures.
- Familiar with ADA guidelines and experience in construction of various types of ADA ramps (e.g. wheelchair, sidewalk, driveway).
- Experience in flat work and setting of rebar; and repairing block walls.
- Basic computer knowledge in Word and Excel.
- Preference will be given to candidates demonstrating knowledge of related Maricopa Association of Government (
) standards, City Of Phoenix Supplements to MAG
and requirements provided for under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).