The Cemetery Caretaker performs jobs requiring mainly manual skills and physical strength. Performs a variety of tasks, such as operating small tractors and riding lawn mowers; transplanting shrubs; excavating graves to the proper level; cutting and removing sod, tamping and leveling dirt using hand and power tools; excavating and squaring graves using pneumatic equipment, picks and shovels; assisting in lifting and placing caskets on lowering devices; loading and unloading materials; aligning headstones; cleaning and clearing cemetery grounds of debris using power trimmers, chainsaws, axes, shovels, rakes, blowers, vacuums etc.; weeding, mulching, and applying fertilizer; pruning shrubs and low level dead branches; removing snow and ice; cleaning headstones using sprayer and hand brush; and cleaning service and administrative areas.
The full performance level of this position is WG-05.
* Work Schedule: May be required to work Monday through Friday to include occasional weekends. Due to the mission of the National Cemetery, the cemetery cannot be closed for more than 2 consecutive days at any given time. Additionally, when a Federal holiday falls on a Monday or Friday, staff may be required to work on that holiday or a Saturday. All staff is required to work Memorial Day each year. Staff will be required to work overtime, weekends and holidays when necessary to meet the needs of the cemetery. Occasionally staff may be called back to the facility to perform emergency overtime work.
Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The National Cemetery Administration honors Veterans with final resting places in national shrines and with lasting tributes that commemorate their service to our nation. The National Cemetery Administration will serve all Veterans and their families with the utmost dignity, respect, and compassion. Every national cemetery will be a place that inspires visitors to understand and appreciate the service and sacrifice of our Nation's Veterans. For more information about the National Cemetery Administration, visit http://www.cem.va.gov/ .
These positions are located at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery in San Antonio, Texas. As a Cemetery Caretaker, you will have the opportunity to perform a variety of grounds, equipment and building maintenance duties and participate in interment operations.
For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/ .
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible under 5 CFR 213.3102 "u", Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities (i.e. intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities) and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
AFGE: This announcement is a solicitation for applications from current VA employees and status eligible applicants. Please note that as provided for in the Master Agreement the FIRST area of consideration for this position will be permanent employees of the Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery, the SECOND area of consideration will be employees at other VA facilities, and the THIRD area of consideration will be status eligibles.
- Qualifications & Evaluations
- Your background must demonstrate work involved in interment activities, including layout and excavation of new grave sites, and reopening occupied gravesites which require extreme caution to avoid damage to previously interred containers.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: The work requires moderate effort in maneuvering large vehicles and in hooking up heavy equipment attachments to tractors. This position requires the incumbent to lift weights up to 100 pounds on a recurring basis. Items weighing greater than 50 pounds will be lifted with assistance. Most of the work involves twisting, climbing lifting, bending, crouching, kneeling, leaning, stretching, bouncing, sitting, standing, stooping and carrying.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Works outside in all kinds of weather. In addition, when operating vehicles, drives in all types of weather and traffic and is exposed to the possibility of accidents. Work is performed both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather. Incumbent is exposed to heat, cold, wind, dirt, dust, mud, and water in the performance of the duties of this position.
A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C ( www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c ).
SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the questions.
The screen-out element(s) for this position is:
Other job elements include:
- Ability to do the job of a cemetery caretaker without more than normal supervision.
- You must possess, provide proof of, and maintain a valid state driver's license.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
- Perform the technical practices of the cemetery caretaker
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications and directives
- Perform the work using dexterity and safe work practices
You will be evaluated based upon the responses you provide on the job specific questionnaire that is required as part of the application process for this position.
Your résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
- Benefits & Other Info
- How to Apply
- To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package (See "Required Documents" section below). The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Tuesday, October 22, 2013.
- More Info
- San Antonio
- Veterans Affairs, National Cemetery Administration
- This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- Per Hour
- The following documents are required:
- Responses to the Occupational Questionnaire.
- Veterans' Preference documentation such as DD-214 or equivalent that shows character of discharge, SF-15 and VA Letter, as appropriate.
- Current federal employees and past federal employees with reinstatement eligibility must provide a current SF-50 and the most current performance appraisal.
- Use this checklist to ensure you've submitted everything. You will not be contacted for additional information.
- 4754-Cemetery Caretaking
- After the vacancy announcement closes and a referral certificate is issued, an electronic notification letter - or e-mail - will be sent to applicants who provide an e-mail address. Otherwise, you will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service within 2 to 4 weeks.
- 15513-Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Department of Veterans Affairs - 14 months ago
copy to clipboard
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. It is...