The Center Animal Care Technician is responsible for the intake, medication and basic medical triage and care for all center cats and dogs. This position also assists the Center Veterinarian and Spay and Neuter Clinic as needed.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Daily cleaning of work areas including but limited to cleaning cages, mopping floors, etc.
- Performing new animal intake including but not limited to: vaccinations, microchipping, enter all data (medical and other) into PetPoint. blood draws, new animal photos, and basic intake exams.
- Preparing and filling prescriptions for center animals under the direction of Center Veterinarians.
- Assisting the Center Veterinarians with exams for basic wellness and health certificates.
- Assisting the animal care staff as directed by Vet Services Manager with daily medications.
- Perform basic medical care including but not limited to wrapping wounds, snap tests, medicating, nail trimming, SQ fluids, fecal tests, microscopic exams, grooming needs, anal gland expression, etc. under the direction of Center Veterinarians.
- Daily triage of care giver observation forms and alerting Center Veterinarians/ Vet Services Manager on an as needed basis.
- Assisting with technician duties in the spay and neuter clinic as needed
- Administering prescribed medications, both oral and injectable.
- Assisting the veterinarian in animal handling and general treatment.
- Daily walk-throughs in the center monitoring general health of animals in the Center.
- Preparing surgery packs and cleaning surgical equipment.
- Stocking supplies and alerting the Vet Services Manager on inventory needs.
- Other duties as assigned by Veterinary Services Manager or Executive Director.
- Strong interpersonal skills. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Prior experience as a Veterinary Assistant or technician, or relevant education and or certifications, shelter experience preferred.
- Animal handling experience and proficiency required.
- Administrative experience required.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel, and the ability to learn google calendar, docs, PetPoint and email and ADP.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time to include repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Perform strenuous physical labor including bending, stooping, reaching, lifting, etc…
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night, holiday and on-call work