The RD, Certified Diabetes Educator participates in the multidisciplinary Diabetes Care Program, demonstrates clinical expertise, the ability to develop and teach diabetes education programs, the ability to work with other health professionals, and an interest in fostering professional practice through evidence-based practice.
Under minimal supervision, the RD, Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) is responsible for:
Educating patients and families on diabetes self-management skills and medical nutrition therapy.
Works collaboratively with the SMG Endocrinologists and Network Diabetes Coordinator to ensure that all patients that are referred to the Diabetes Program receive specialized training in diabetes management.
Works collaboratively with all members of the health care delivery team to promote quality patient care.
The RD, CDE collaborates with physicians on the nutritional management and recommended treatment options for their patients referred for diabetes self-management or medical nutrition therapy.
Communicates effectively with patients, families/significant others, and members of the health care delivery team.
Participate on the Diabetes Education Committee and the Advisory Committee.
Identifies outcomes, planning, implementing and evaluating care by conducting assessments, working with the patient and family to identify educational needs, monitoring patient blood glucose values, providing medical nutrition therapy (MNT) to patients per physician referral, educating on renal disease, thyroid health, and the basis of the endocrine system.
Maintains appropriate communication with physicians, and collaborates with other professionals and community resources.
Focuses on Quality of Care by engaging in ongoing evaluation of effectiveness of the quality of the care.
Participates in Program Management by providing assistance with Program budget, managing utilization of resources and participating in community programs.
Collaborates with SMG Specialty Care Endocrinologists and the Diabetes Network Coordinator for meeting requirements of an ADA Recognized Program.
Enters patient information into the Diabetes Registry, actively participates in Diabetes Care Program Educator Committee and Advisory Committee.
Participates in the Diabetes Care Program quality improvement initiatives.
Works with SMG Specialty Care Endocrinologists on organizing education classes on site for patients and families during and after normal business hours.
Adheres to all policies and procedures of the Diabetes Care Program.
· Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
· 3 years clinical experience as a dietitian providing Medical Nutrition Therapy required; teaching experience highly recommended; 3 years clinical experience as a dietitian providing Diabetes Self-Management Education preferred.
· CDE required.
· Strong knowledge in Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including customer service skills.
· Ability to work well with multiple teams and in multiple settings.
· Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
· Detail oriented with strong multi-task abilities.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule.
· Must be a self starter.
· Must be willing to teach classes as appropriate.
· Understands and complies with highest standards of confidentiality.
Nashoba Valley Medical Center - 5 months ago