Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
The SPIN Therapeutic Recreation Specialist enhances meaningful living based on individual choice by supporting adults through individual or group activities at or through the Norcom Community Center.
Supports the individual to develop and enhance friendships, family connections and other relationships by teaching skills, providing opportunities, and building on individual strengths and capabilities
Researches, develops and maintains information on community and other resources relevant to the needs of the individual.
Promotes individual partnership in the design of support services, consulting the person and involving him or her in the support process.
Directly supports individual in various settings including community and various recreational or social settings based upon their chosen outcomes.
Participates in assessments to determine the chosen outcomes, needs, preferences and capabilities of the individual by gathering information and informing the individual about what to expect throughout the assessment process.
Assists in identifying, securing and using needed equipment and therapies.
Demonstrates current knowledge of laws, services and community resources to assist and educate individuals to secure needed supports.
Implements each person’s individualized plan to achieve specific outcomes, derived from individual’s preferences, needs and interests.
Educates individuals, co-workers and community members about the individualized plan by providing information, positive support and training while maintaining standards of confidentiality and ethical practice.
- · Bachelor’s Degree in Therapeutic Recreation.
- · Applicant must have certification from the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) OR be eligible to sit for exam and pass test within 6 months of hire.
- · Minimum of 2 year experience working with adults with Intellectual Disabilities.
- · Varied recreational experience preferred.
- · Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- · Ability to work independently as well as effectively with team members.
- · Ability to demonstrate flexibility in order to meet programmatic needs.
- · Valid driver’s license, own car and valid insurance.
Special People In Northeast Inc - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard