Provides direct spiritual care for patients, family members, and PeaceHealth caregivers across the continuum of care. Demonstrates a spiritual presence to all people that is compassionate, accepting, respectful and sensitive. Working as a member of the healthcare team and with other healthcare professionals, Chaplains promote healing of mind, body and spirit through direct care, leadership and pastoral education. Works collaboratively with other professionals, area clergy, students and community professionals. In addition, Chaplains provide leadership in promoting the mission, values and vision of PeaceHealth.
1. Assumes responsibility to provide spiritual care to patients and families in assigned areas and by referral and participation in interdisciplinary teams and other members of the health care team.
2. Offers holistic spiritual care and counsel to address the spiritual, psychological, social and physical needs of the patients, families and health care team.
3. Provides and documents Spiritual Assessment, Pastoral Plan, Interventions and Consultation.
4. Assist people to move through immediate and emerging crisis/trauma. Provides Critical Incident Stress Debriefing and support to healthcare team as needed.
5. Assists others in ethical decision making, regarding medical decisions including formulating Advance Directives, consistent with their values and belief system and in accordance with the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare Services (ERD's).
6. Facilitates theological reflection and assists others as they seek to make meaning in the midst of crisis and as they integrate their personal, spiritual, and health journeys.
7. Provides notification, consultation and support for faith community leaders of patients and families wishing their faith community leaders notified and involved in their care. Works closely with clergy to assure the patient's spiritual needs are met during hospitalization and that appropriate referrals for post discharge spiritual care are made.
8. Provides support, resource and leadership for the programs, initiatives and on-going department functions and goals as assigned.
9. Provides support, education, and consultation to members of the healthcare team as they seek personal and professional growth in becoming more effective caregivers and in providing care that is relational, patient centered, and holistically oriented.
10. Demonstrates ongoing personal, professional and spiritual growth through theological reflections, formal educational opportunities, professional organizations and retreats. Uses that growth in further the development of in-service programs regarding the mission and purpose of the Spiritual Care department.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Theological Education appropriate for hospital chaplain, Masters level from an accredited university or seminary is required.
One year health care chaplaincy (or equivalent setting) experience required for full time positions.
' Acute care experience preferred.
Endorsement/standing from denomination required.
' Board Certified or certification eligible by National Associate of Catholic Chaplains, Association for Professional Chaplains, the National Association of Jewish Chaplains or equivalent organization is required. Certification eligible chaplains to become certified within two years.
' Basic Life Support is preferred.
' Commitment to continuing education
' Ability to assist others in medical decision making consistent with their values and belief system.
' Knowledge of and ability to interpret the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare Services
' Ability to share personal faith/spiritual journey and experiences and to reflect theologically on pastoral ministry
' Ability to interact with the faith community leaders of diverse denominations and faith traditions
' Ability to work effectively with a wide range of patients who have varying physical, emotional, cultural and religious/spiritual needs that bring meaning to their lives
' Crisis counseling skills required for addressing and processing trauma situations
' Ability to integrate and utilize a variety of modalities in healing, i.e. guided meditation, music thanatology
' Computer literate and proficient in MS Office, Electronic Medical Record experience preferred
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
Whatcom Hospice/Hospice House
Valid WA State Driver's License is required.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Washington, is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon,...