JOB TITLE: Chef Instructor, Pastry
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Resident Chef
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Chef Instructor, pastry delivers hands on instruction and executes class curriculum within the Culinary Program. This role is responsible for an exceptional experience for customers by creating a fun, interactive learning environment that inspires the home chef and establishes Sur La Table as the Trusted Authority. Additionally, the chef instructor, pastry is a key driver in store sales.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (including, but not limited to)
SETTING THE TABLE FOR SUCCESS
- Teach classes as directed by the Resident Chef
- Monitor class attendance and demand and by the needs of the business
- Create menus and write recipes as needed or as directed by Resident Chef
- Provide direction and feedback to the culinary staff during classes to ensure successful classroom operations and an outstanding, educational experience for customers.
- Maintain kitchen operations and the highest standards of cleanliness
- Ensure adherence to applicable National, State and Local Health and Safety codes
- Drive retail sales by highlighting products before, during and after classes
- Support Resident Chef in marketing and promoting culinary program
- Maintain awareness and apply knowledge of culinary trends and local influences
- Adjust teaching style to meet needs of class participants including adults, teens and children and a varied of experience levels
- Demonstrate passion for cooking, entertaining and Sur La Table products
- Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing to multiple audiences
- Shop for ingredients and supplies as needed
- May handle, serve, and pour liquor, wine and beer.
- May Mix ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water and etc. in order to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
Sur La Table Core competencies for everyone:
Sur La Table Core competencies for People Managers:
- Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your customers
- Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere
- Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom & decisive action
- Take Ownership: you are committed, responsible and provide solutions
- Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and expectations
REQUIREMENTS: (including, but not limited to)
- Lead the Way: You influence positive outcomes
- Facilitate Success: Your team is motivated, engaged and accomplished
- Develop People: You never compromise on people
- Bona fide job requirements only (degree, certifications, experience, etc)
- 2+ years’ experience as providing professional instruction
- 2+ years’ professional baking experience or Degree in Baking and Pastry Arts
- Retail sales experience (preferred)
- Available to work as business dictates including nights and weekends.
- Must be 21 or older
- Able to stand at least 5 hours at a time
- Able to lift up to 35 pounds on a regular basis
Sur La Table - 5 months ago
Sur La Table is nearing a 40-year legacy of knowledgeable and passionate service. Our stores and Web site are a celebration of quality tools...