TITLE: Chef Instructor, Pastry
CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Resident Chef
Sur La Table is the Trusted Authority . We are guided by values that reflect our character and commitment to our consumer. We believe in innovation, exploration and service. We strive to inspire in all we do by investing in our employees as well as the communities in which we live and work.
Like a lively dinner party, we strive to create a unique experience by inviting just the right people. Thinkers. Artists. Food Lovers. People with a passion for what they do and how they do it. That's where you come in. The missing ingredient. The person to complete our team and make our recipe for success more than just a metaphor.
The Chef Instructor, Pastry delivers hands on instruction and executes class curriculum within the Culinary Program. This role is responsible for an exceptional experience for customers by creating a fun, interactive learning environment that inspires the home chef and establishes Sur La Table as the Trusted Authority. Additionally, the Chef Instructor, Pastry is a key driver in store sales.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (including, but not limited to)
REQUIREMENTS: (including, but not limited to)
- Teach classes as directed by the Resident Chef
- Create menus and write recipes as needed or as directed by Resident Chef
- Provide direction and feedback to the culinary staff during classes to ensure successful classroom operations and an outstanding, educational experience for customers
- Maintain kitchen operations and the highest standards of cleanliness
- Ensure adherence to applicable National, State and Local Health and Safety codes
- Drive retail sales by highlighting products before, during and after classes
- Support Resident Chef in marketing and promoting culinary program
- Maintain awareness and apply knowledge of culinary trends and local influences
- Adjust teaching style to meet needs of class participants including adults, teens and children and a varied of experience levels
- Demonstrate passion for cooking, entertaining and Sur La Table products
- Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing to multiple audiences
- Shop for ingredients and supplies as needed
- 2+ years’ experience as providing professional instruction
- 2+ years’ professional baking experience or Degree in Baking and Pastry Arts
- Retail sales experience (preferred)
- Available to work as business dictates including nights and weekends
- Able to stand at least 5 hours at a time
- Able to lift up to 35 pounds on a regular basis
In 1972, the first Sur La Table store opened in Seattle’s Pike Place Market. It was a place where serious cooks found a surprising...