Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc is looking for a Chemical Engineer to join the Chemical Development team in Cambridge, MA. Chemical Engineering at Vertex plays a vital role in bridging the gap between new pharmaceutical discoveries and commercial products. Engineers at Vertex work in multidisciplinary scientific teams to bring basic medical discoveries to patients and physicians by applying fundamental chemistry and chemical engineering principles to new products, processes, and development technologies.
- Be responsible for defining, developing, and demonstrating commercially viable, multi-step, organic syntheses for the manufacture of small-molecule advanced intermediates and active pharmaceutical ingredients.
- Support drug substance process development via laboratory development, pilot plant scale-up, drug supply preparation, and technology transfer to third party manufacturing facilities.
- Lead the identification, development, and deployment of new instrumentation and automation technologies to support drug substance process development. Specific areas of focus will be in the areas of reaction engineering/catalysis, separations, crystallization, physical property measurement, engineering unit operations, and chemical analysis.
- Work closely with synthetic organic chemists and chemical engineers in the Chemical Development department to investigate potential hazards associated with synthetic transformations, unit operations, and process equipment. Deliver robust and safe chemical processes for in-house execution, scale-up, and tech transfer to external vendors.
- Manage the transfer of bench-scale chemical processes to third party manufacturing facilities and have demonstrated experience in managing external scientific activities and relationships with CRO's and CMO's.
The position requires a Ph.D. with 0-3 years experience or BS/MS in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry and 5-10 years of work experience in API or fine chemical process development.
The successful candidate must be a highly productive, results-oriented individual able to generate and implement original ideas and solutions that contribute materially to the success and development of drug substance candidates. Strong communication, organization, and planning skills and a high level of technical aptitude and creativity are required for success in this position
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to interact, lead, and collaborate within an interdisciplinary team environment comprised of organic, physical, and analytical chemists; project team members; and manufacturing personnel.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated is a global biotechnology company committed to the discovery and development of breakthrough small molecule drugs for serious diseases. The Company's strategy is to commercialize its products both independently and in collaboration with major pharmaceutical companies. Vertex's product pipeline is focused on viral diseases, cystic fibrosis, inflammation, autoimmune diseases, cancer, and pain.
- Have demonstrated experience with modeling complex, physicochemical systems; data analysis; statistical design of experiments; QbD concepts, and fluency with common physical property and process modeling tools (Aspen, Dynochem, Matlab, etc.) is required.
- Have a proven track record in laboratory and pilot-scale development in the areas of reaction engineering, catalysis, crystallization, separation technologies, drying, and micronization.
- Possess a sound understanding of chemistry and chemical engineering fundamentals; advanced technical knowledge and experience in API process development, process scale-up, troubleshooting, and optimization; knowledge of applied kinetics, thermodynamics, and transport fundamentals; and familiarity with modern laboratory instrumentation (HPLC, GC, FTIR, Raman, FBRM, DSC, TGA, XRPD, etc), automation tools, and laboratory/plant implementation of PAT (FTIR, n-IR, on-line laser diffraction, etc.).
VERTEX is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals - 2 years ago
Vertex Pharmaceuticals aims to cure patients with previously incurable diseases. The biotechnology company uses an integrated,...