Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Who May Apply: Open to US citizens and applicants eligible under Schedule A authority.
This position is located at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID), Division of Scientific Resources (DSR), Biotechnology Core Facility Branch, Atlanta, Georgia.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Background investigation required.
- Transcript is required
DUTIES: Back to top
Incumbent synthesizes custom-designed peptides, analyzes amino acid composition and purity of synthetic products. Incumbent performs chemical procedures in determining the amino acid sequence of peptides and proteins; determines study requirements, resources, equipment needs, etc.; identifies sampling or other testing procedures to collect data; monitors the effect of changes/refinements in synthetic procedures, characterization of synthesis intermediates, and bears a major troubleshooting responsibility in correlating synthetic and analytical results with the processing problems; carries out study procedures for assigned projects that involve the application, modification, adaptation, or extension of established guides, precedents, methods and practices in the field of chemistry. Incumbent analyzes complex or unprecedented samples including trace analysis of native proteins; calibrates, validates, and interprets the analytical results and ensures that all requested information is obtained; and consults with laboratorians on the whole range of techniques.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
Basic Qualifications for the GS-1320 : A. Degree: physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
B. Combination of education and experience -- course work equivalent to a major as shown in A above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Specialized Experience : Specialized experience is that which is directly related to the position and has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Applicants must have (1) year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service experience in planning and conducting analysis of research data and performing chemical procedures to determine amino acid sequence of peptide and proteins.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/ .
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees . Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Travel required with position No
10. Recruitment Bonus authorized: No
11. Research position: No
12. Promotion potential: No
13. Supervisory position: No
14. Annual Leave for Non-Federal Service Authorized: No
15. Student Loan Repayment Authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Ability to conduct research investigations
2. Knowledge of analytical research methods
3. Skill in oral communication
4. Skill in written communication
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc .
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov ).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - 20 months ago