Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the Chicago Summer Crew programs.
Co-lead, mentor and coach a crew of 10-12 students, ages 15-18, while completing various conservation service projects designed to build an ethic of community and environmental stewardship. Projects include trail and park maintenance, habitat restoration, revitalization of abandoned urban properties and gardening. In addition, leaders will facilitate pre- and post- program planning which includes crew training, environmental education, green job readiness curriculum and program reporting.
Program Dates: July 1st – August 9th, 2013 (Tentative)
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Use established or create own lesson plans to meet Basic Green Job Readiness competencies.
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage relationships with agency partners
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule, etc.
- Manage all medical and first aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA field staff as required
- Supervise crew members during the work day
- Train & supervise crew members in safe and proper tool use
- Organize & lead recreation trip after completion of work project
- Maintain and complete required program reporting and documentation
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 20th – June 29th, 2013 (other dates available for qualified leaders meeting extenuating circumstances. Travel, food & lodging expenses covered by SCA for training.)
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
Compensation: Up to $3,795 total salary depending on experience & program length.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up . Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email scaChicago@thesca.org & firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org