Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
This position may be located in either Colorado or the National Capital Area.
Chief Architect for Remote Sensing
The Chief Architect for Remote Sensing will report to the Director of Engineering Systems. This position has responsibility for leading development of end-to-end (ETE) space-based remote sensing solutions for national missions.
What you’ll do:
- ETE means starting with customer mission needs, identify phenomenological signatures; perform radiometric analysis of the system, including scene radiance, atmospheric effects, and signal and noise characteristics; evaluate design of collection optics, sensor response, electronic processing, transmission to the ground, processing and exploitation of the data, distribution of knowledge to users; and ultimately answer the initial customer need.
- Understand and make system trades for how orbits, constellations, hardware capabilities, and timing of the information affect the entire system.
- Create multiple candidate architectures for a given customer mission, and select the best approach from those candidates, using systems models and analysis.
- This is a senior position that will act as mentor for several other mission systems engineers.
- Communicate a vision of the system architecture to Ball engineers, and lead multi-disciplinary teams across multiple organizations in detailed design, analysis, and optimization of the candidate systems' performance and operation.
What you’ll need:
- The successful candidate will be nationally recognized for contributions to development of mission architectures of similar scope in mission areas like ISR, SSA, Weather & Environment, Electronic Warfare or Missile Warning.
- Experience in space instrumentation and spacecraft engineering is required, including, but not limited to: Systems architecture, both space and ground segments; remote sensor design, detector systems, systems engineering, integration & test, and ground data processing, storage and dissemination.
- Proven leadership and management skills for large and small projects within classified communities.
- Excellent communication skills are essential, including the ability to understand the customer’s needs and clear communication of proposed solutions to both Ball management and the customer.
- Fifteen or more years of experience as a technical lead in electro-optical remote sensing programs or related field.
- DoD TS, TS/SCI clearances required.
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field is strongly preferred, plus 16 or more years of related experience.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher level degree, i.e. Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience.
- Two years of experience may be substituted for each year of education
This position requires a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI). Some positions will require completion of a polygraph examination. * U.S. Citizenship Required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Ball Aerospace - 13 months ago