About the Organization:
About the Organization :
Playworks is a national nonprofit organization that improves school climate, reduces bullying and increases student engagement in school through play and physical activity. Through both our training programs and our on-site direct service, Playworks teaches children to resolve their own conflicts that arise at recess and carry over to the classroom, restoring valuable teaching and learning time. We help transform recess into a safe, fun and inclusive time that gets students active and engaged so they can return to the classroom focused and ready to learn. For more information, please visit www.playworks.org .
About the Position :
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for leading all national development activities for the organization. The CDO is accountable for a national development target including corporate, foundation and major gifts and leads a team providing significant support to city-based development staff across the country. Given the organization’s ambitious expectations for continued national expansion, the CDO is responsible for contributing to the organization’s growth strategy and designing both national and regional fundraising activities that will result in financial sustainability at every level. Playworks’ current development plan includes significant foundation, corporate and individual income sources to complement earned income and government contracts that are managed primarily by other staff.
The CDO works closely with other members of the senior management team to ensure that the organization maintains financial stability through a period of rapid growth and beyond. This position operates on both strategic and functional levels in order to develop and oversee a development strategy including supporting city-based development activities in each of Playworks’ 23+ cities. In addition, this position manages an energetic team of professionals who are committed to the organization’s success. This is an exempt position located in Oakland, CA and reports to the President & COO.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create and manage a national development plan including solicitation of national foundations, corporate sponsors and individual donors
- Significantly increase Playworks’ portfolio of individual donors through active prospect research and effectively cultivation. Manage a portfolio of individual donors, focusing primarily on cultivating new major gifts
- Communicate effectively with donors through face-to-face solicitation and stewardship meetings, as well as ongoing and strategic written and e-communication strategies; plan and support execution of targeted donor events across the year
- Manage and support national development staff
- Represent development staff on senior management team
- Support regional development strategies to be implemented by regional staff
- Coordinate organization-wide development activities including annual gala event, direct mail and online giving campaigns
- Manage participation of CEO and President/COO in development activities
- Manage Board of Directors’ participation in development activities
- Support regional board participation in development activities
- Provide development status reports for senior management team and board of directors
- Provide fundraising training for boards, staff and volunteers
- Plan and evaluate financial needs and fundraising plans for the organization’s future
- Contribute to organization-wide strategic planning efforts
- Collaborate internally on special projects and provide leadership on cross-functional teams
The ideal candidate...
The ideal candidate will bring 10+ years of experience in development, preferably within a national multi-site, nonprofit organization. They will also have proven leadership, strategy, management and organizational skills, particularly while working within a fast-paced organization. Candidates will also possess substantial experience in designing, executing and rolling-out a comprehensive fundraising plan including annual giving, major gifts, corporate and foundation fundraising. The CDO will need to be both a coach and a strategist who can encourage staff and board members to participate in direct solicitation and cultivation activities and also be a highly capable direct fundraiser to conduct cultivation and solicitation without assistance.
Additional qualifications include :
Compensation and Benefits:
- Successful track record of raising significant individual donations
- Demonstrated success in building and implementing effective fundraising strategies, including building the strategy and focus for development activities, building strong prospect lists, presenting the organization to prospective funders solo and with board and senior staff, securing the funding and building relationships that yield expanded and multi-year funding
- Intellectual agility and demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Ability to mentor individuals within the organization
- Articulate with proven ability to write effectively and speak persuasively
- An ability to listen to others and learn from their best ideas - a sense of inquisitiveness and intellectual curiosity
- High professional standards with the ability to see big picture and manage practical details
- Strong computer skills and the ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results; proficiency in Google Apps and Salesforce a plus
- Comfort with a professional yet playful workplace culture
- Passionate commitment to Playworks’ mission and youth development approach
- Ability to thrive in an environment that is characterized by significant growth, diversity and constant change
- This position requires travel to various locations:
- If you use a vehicle, you must provide a current MVR, proof of liability and property damage insurance with a minimum of (100,000; 300,000) on vehicle used in addition to a valid drivers license
- Competitive Non-Profit salary
- Employer-paid health coverage
- Access to employee-funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts
- Paid vacation, sick and holiday leave
Playworks - 30+ days ago
Playworks is the only nonprofit organization in the country to send trained, full-time coaches to low-income, urban schools, where they tran...