The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for all fundraising and development activities for The Methodist Home. The CDO will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support. The CDO is responsible for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow The Methodist Home's budget, reserves and endowment through the solicitation of major gifts, grants, wills, trusts and legacy gifts.
- Support and partner with the President/CEO and board members on all fundraising initiatives and serves as a member of the Leadership Team.
- Establish a robust one to one donor relationship program.
- Oversee a balanced mix of solicitation programs (individual, corporate, and foundation gifts) tailored to the needs of the organization which attracts, retains and motivates donors to increase charitable support.
- Monitor all donor information; provides and presents statistical analysis to board and senior leadership team as requested.
- Provide support to special events of The Home to include Board meetings, Annual Conference, Banquets, Auxiliary functions, etc.
- Relate to Development Committee and full Board; relates to other committees as may be assigned.
- Coordinate the work of the Development Department with The Foundation of The Methodist Home.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintains accountability standards to donors and ensures compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct.
- Speak and present about The Methodist Home to various groups as needed.
- Monitors fiscal status of the development department and develop annual budget.
- Supervise Director of Church Relations, Director of Donor Relations/Operations, Grants Coordinator and Regional Development Officer(s).
- Maintains a safe and healthy work environment.
- Leadership: Role model and mentor for staff.
- Completes assignments in a timely and accurate manner.
- Is willing to take on additional responsibility in a positive manner.
- Upholds the mission and values of The Methodist Home.
- Complete training necessary to perform position consistent with program and agency
staff development plans.
- Masters Degree preferred, as is knowledge of Raisers Edge donor data system.
- At least 10 years of experience in fund development with demonstrated individual major gift success.
- Demonstrated supervisory and management skills with the ability to set specific goals and
support staff in their achievement.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish effective relationships with volunteers, staff, donors and prospects.
- Must be proficient with computers including, Microsoft office, Internet and e-mail.
- Ability to engage and motivate people from all backgrounds.
Essential Job Functions
- Ability to meet and handle the public with tact and poise.
- Must be able to multi task in a fast paced work environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including effective public speaking skills.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential information.
- Ability to understand and consistently implement policies and procedures of the Agency.
- Ability to interact and work cooperatively and effectively with other personnel and residents.
- Ability to show sensitivity and responsiveness to cultural difference in the service population.
- Duties are performed in a variety of environments ranging from highly stressful to casual and leisurely.
- Duties may include some lifting moderately heavy materials.
- Duties may include sitting and typing for both short and lengthy durations of time.
- Duties include a significant amount of travel.
- Duties require visiting donors in homes or other applicable places.
Philanthropy Careers - 6 months ago