The Chief Editor is responsible for the overall leadership and directions for the journal. In addition, the Chief Editor oversees the PLOS Biology editorial team, the day-to-day running and coordination of the journal and takes ultimate responsibility for the editorial decision-making and content of the journal. The Chief Editor is a senior member of the editorial group at PLOS and is expected to participate in PLOS-wide editorial, publishing and advocacy activities.
PLOS Biology features works of exceptional significance, originality, and relevance in all areas of biological science, from molecules to ecosystems, including works at the interface of other disciplines, such as chemistry, medicine, and mathematics. The journal’s audience is the international scientific community as well as educators, policy makers, and interested members of the public around the world. PLOS Biology is part of the suite of Biology journals group at PLOS, along with PLOS Genetics and PLOS Computational Biology.
- Responsibility for overarching journal vision, future direction, and policy.
- In association with the Editorial Director and Finance, responsibility for setting and managing the journal budget.
- Annual review of journal priorities and objectives in line with PLOS organizational objectives.
- Oversight of general press and media relations.
- Initiation of special projects, and development of new journal features.
- Representation of journal on internal and external editorial groups.
- Handling manuscripts as needed.
- Management of senior journal editorial staff.
- Regular staff appraisals.
- Interfacing and collaborating with senior staff in other departments such as Publishing Services, Production, Product Management, Finance, and Technology.
- Representation of PLOS Biology on PLOS-wide meetings as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Representation of PLOS Biology specifically, and PLOS overall, and participation in advocacy work as appropriate.
- Active participation in external organizations that further the mission and goals of PLOS Biology and PLOS.
- Help develop and implement appropriate standards for biology publishing throughout PLOS (and provide expert advice as necessary).
- Contribute to collaboration, harmonization and planning across PLOS journals.
- Contribute to the development of PLOS’s overall publishing strategy.
The position will be based in either our San Francisco, CA or Cambridge, UK office and is available from May, 2014. The position has become available as a result of the departure of the PLOS Biology Editorial Director.
- Biological Degree with postgraduate experience. PhD in addition to a biological degree is required.
- Substantial, senior-level experience in editing at a general biology or relevant specialist biological journal.
- Experience of leadership with proven ability to develop and articulate a vision within publishing or a related area.
- Expertise in handling research and non-research papers across a wide range of topics and methodologies.
- Experience in management of editorial teams, ideally across different sites and countries.
- Experience in developing and implementing journal policies.
- In depth understanding of biological publishing and a commitment to Open Access.
- Established evidence of commitment/experience in external editorial initiatives or groups is preferred.
Please send a cover letter outlining your reasons for applying and salary expectations. Please also include a separate document outlining your assessment of the current strengths and areas for growth of PLOS Biology and your vision for the journal. No agencies please.