The Chief Engineer is responsible for the overall management and operation of the mechanical, life/safety, electrical and plumbing operations for commercial buildings and for the supervision of all lead engineers, building engineers and other on-site mechanical and maintenance staff who are direct reports. The focus is on managing the workflow and scheduling maintenance and repair projects, as well as collaborating with the Area Chief to develop and manage projects, such as upgrading mechanical systems and tenant improvements. The Chief Engineer maintains working relationships with all Property Managers in his/her area for issues affecting their properties. The Chief Engineer must exhibit outstanding client service and professionalism in all interactions with tenants and RMR staff. Teamwork and collaboration are critical to this position’s success.
- Train and supervise the lead and building engineers and other on-site mechanical and maintenance staff.
- Oversee the coordination of all technical service providers, including biding contracts and monitoring of quality control.
- Assist the Area Chief in preparing monthly reports, operating and capital budgets for the properties.
- Review tenant construction drawings to ensure all building design requirements are met.
- Monitor staff efforts in the quality and timeliness of completing tenant work requests.
- Conduct meetings with tenants regarding any concerns related to the building’s mechanical systems, indoor air quality or other issues, as required,
- Oversee lead engineers and building engineers in the implementation of a comprehensive life safety program, including tenant fire drills, system testing and regulatory compliance.
- Analyze energy usage and demand information and implement operating strategies to reduce costs.
- 7 years of direct experience in the management of mechanical, electrical and plumbing operations for commercial office buildings.
- Experience in all aspects of mechanical, electrical, life/safety and plumbing operations in commercial office buildings including: safety, code compliance and technology utilization.
- Experience with monitoring and implementing energy conservation measures in a wide variety of commercial properties.
- Familiarity with various regulations affecting building mechanical operations such as CFCs, indoor air quality, and building codes.
- Ability to manage and control adverse situations with sophisticated tenants.
- Experience with computerized building management systems, preventative maintenance and work order systems.
- Experience with the opening, staffing and commissioning of newly acquired buildings.
- Experience with the operating and maintenance of older buildings and systems.
- Project management experience related to the upgrading and/or replacement of major building systems and tenant construction improvements.
- Refrigeration or electrical license preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree or some college classes preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
- Ability to present complex data in order to facilitate analysis and decision-making.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Must be team oriented and a problem solver.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Founded in 1986, Reit Management & Research LLC (RMR) is a privately held asset management company that manages one of the largest portfolios of publicly owned real estate in the United States with approximately $21.5 billion of assets under management, including more than 1,650 properties located in the 46 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and Ontario, Canada. RMR has approximately 790 employees in its headquarters and regional offices located throughout the country. RMR manages CommonWealth REIT (NYSE: CWH), an office and industrial real estate investment trust, or REIT; Hospitality Properties Trust (NYSE: HPT), a hospitality REIT; Senior Housing Properties Trust (NYSE: SNH), a healthcare REIT; a government property focused REIT, Government Properties Income Trust (NYSE: GOV); and Select Income REIT (NYSE: SIR), a REIT that focuses on net leased, single tenant properties; and also provides management and administrative services to two publicly traded real estate based operating companies: Five Star Quality Care, Inc (NYSE Amex: FVE) and TravelCenters of America LLC (NYSE Amex: TA). An affiliate of RMR, Sonesta International Hotels Corporation, is one of HPT's hotel managers; and another affiliate of RMR, RMR Advisors, Inc. is the investment manager of a publicly owned mutual fund, which principally invests in securities of unaffiliated real estate companies.
Reit Management & Research - 2 years ago