The Chief Engineer is responsible for the preventative and corrective maintenance of the entire fabric of the vessel, including its equipment and furnishings. He ensures equipment is maintained and serviced to achieve the optimum economic life-cycle and predictable reliability within its life-cycle. He is also responsible for providing the necessary power and services to the drilling operations and other support operations, in a safe and efficient manner.
The Chief Engineer is the Maintenance Department head onboard the drillship and acts as a focal point for all equipment and vessel fabric related issues onboard the vessel.
He/she coordinates the preventative and corrective maintenance onboard the vessel and with input from the other onboard crew members sets priorities in order to ensure maximum safety, efficiency and preservation of the assets onboard.
He/she is ultimately responsible to ensure the accuracy of data entered in the Rig Maintenance System by all users on the vessel. The Chief Engineer is the custodian of Rig Maintenance System and is provided with the highest access level to enter corrections, data and changes in the maintenance routines and intervals, both calendar and event based. Ultimate responsible for Maintenance personnel competency, training and coaching
He/She has to maintain documentation in compliance with Company, Regulatory and Flag State requirements.
Direct Manager/Supervisor – Master/OIM
Functional Manager/Supervisor – Rig Manager
The Chief Engineer has five direct reports:
Qualifications and Experience
- 1st Assistant Engineer
- Sr. Subsea Engineer
- Chief Mechanic
- Electrical / Electronic Supervisor.
The Chief Engineer is to have:
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Chief engineers (1st class) ticket, without limitations of horsepower, or geographical area.
- Ten years of offshore experience in the Maintenance department offshore, with increasing responsibilities.
- Proven track record of supervisory and English communication skills (oral and written).
- Familiar and experienced with computer based maintenance programs for offshore drilling units.
- Extensive training and experience with electrical and hydraulic systems on, or equivalent with offshore floating deepwater 5th or 6th generation rigs.
- Completion of all mandatory training and certification requirements for as described in the Rowan offshore Training matrix.
Key Behavioral Attributes
- Comply with Rowan Code of Conduct and supporting policies, standards and applicable process documentation.
- Perform all work according to agreed expectations of both internal and external customers, focus on doing things right first time, every time and contribute actively to continual improvement activities.
- Participate as a member of the Rig Management Team.
- Ensure all activities are carried out according to State, Class, Flag and client requirements including the reporting of accidents and dangerous occurrences.
- Act as a Safety Leader ensuring the ongoing identification of hazards and the implementation of controls to manage the associated risks with a special focus on Permit to Work and Isolation procedures.
- Participates in the planning of goals and objectives for the annual HSE plan with crews.
- Coordinates planning and execution of preventative maintenance, keeping an updated and accurate historical record of all maintenance done as well as all equipment certification documents.
- Ensure the preventive and planned maintenance program is carried out in accordance with Rowan procedures, verify the integrity of all safety critical equipment and regularly participate in internal audits to ensure compliance.
- Ensure all maintenance personnel have the necessary competencies, training and skills to perform their tasks, provide assistance and training to rig personnel in the operation and maintenance of equipment, and regularly appraise and provide feedback to direct reports.
- Organize and supervise the activities of the maintenance department and ensure Rowan work instructions are understood and observed by all personnel involved.
- Ensure that operations are planned, organized, supervised and executed in accordance with well programs, rig move plans, Rowan requirements and contractual obligations.
- Participate in the operational daily meeting. Review the last 24 hours, preview the next 24/72 hours and plan for future operations with regards to equipment, personnel and logistics requirements.
- Maintain the housekeeping onboard to the very high Rowan standards with a particular focus on escape / walking ways to remain clear of any obstruction at all times.
- Take the lead in budget preparation by coordinating the maintenance department budget and assisting the other department heads and the OIM with rig budget proposal, submission and discussion with Rig Manager.
- Openly positively communicates with all departments, with all senior / junior crews as well as client and third parties, as required.
- Clearly and accurately communicates work status at end of shift and end of hitch handovers.
- Always promotes company’s interest in a positive manner
- Enthusiastic, self-driven and dynamic pro-active attitude
- Commitment, Leadership and Accountability especially in HSE matters
- Actively train, coach his subordinates to ensure readiness for the next promotion/position by monitoring their performance, carrying out efficient appraisals as often as required.
ROWAN COMPANIES - 10 months ago
- 1 day ago
Red Lion Hotels
Red Lion Hotels
- 17 hours ago
Marriott International, Inc
Fort Worth, TX
Marriott International, Inc
- 16 hours ago
Rowan Companies, Inc. (Rowan) is a provider of international and domestic contract drilling services. Rowan also owns and operates a...