The Chief Financial Officer is a leader and problem solver, who focuses on Seedco’s underlying business and financial strategies, short and long term, in order for the organization to deliver its programs and services in the most efficient and cost-effective manner. The CFO manages and directs all of Seedco’s financial practices, procedures and systems as well as IT systems for Seedco and for its present and future subsidiaries. As a partner of and a business advisor to the CEO and to the senior management team, the CFO establishes, in tone and practice, an environment in which financial information, analysis and cutting-edge systems are used to drive sound business decisions throughout the organization. The CFO is responsible for building and maintaining a strong and reliable organization, holding staff accountable while providing the leadership, direction and hands-on management of all financial activities. Specifically, the CFO will direct and manage: budget; financial reporting and controls; forecasting; accounting; treasury management; cash management; audit, and IT– while connecting the overall finance function processes and procedures with Seedco’s overarching programmatic goals and mission. The CFO serves on the senior management team and is part of broad strategic and programmatic discussions as innovative programs and innovative business models are developed.
Primary Job Functions:
1) Excellent operations that meet the highest standard (“best practices”) of quality, efficiency, security and integrity;
- Must have the trust and confidence of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Board of Directors as well as the senior staff and serve as their partner in all aspects of Seedco’s operations
- Establishes a strong working partnership with the CEO; develops and establishes relationships with the Board’s Audit and Finance Committee; communicates accurate and understandable financial information as needed, works closely with the President of Seedco Financial;
- Is responsible for preparing the financial information (for both the parent and subsidiary) necessary for the Board to exercise its fiduciary responsibilities, working closely with the Board’s Finance and Audit Committee.
- Possesses a comprehensive knowledge of Seedco – its history and culture, purpose and programs, structure and organization, finances, funding, policies and the major issues critical to the organization
Establishes and maintains a high level of collegiality, as well as an ongoing dialogue with the members of the senior staff and with direct reports; serves as the “go-to” person to provide helpful solutions to underlying business and financial problems. He/she works collaboratively throughout the organization;
- Assesses Seedco’s operating and financial procedures/systems and, and working with the senior management team and program leads, builds on its existing capacity to complement the programs and services and support, including:
2) High quality and timely execution of new operations as necessary; and
3) Provision of enhanced and timely financial reporting and analysis which will help direct programmatic decision making and impact long-range strategic planning;
- With the Controller, implements best practices; develops consistent fiscal controls and procedures; provides day-to-day accountability for systems, processes and infrastructure, including, bank accounts and cash management procedures; ensuring that the accounting, bookkeeping, general ledger, financial statements, bank reconciliation and financial tracking of receivables and payables are accurate and completed in a timely manner; ensuring that financial statements and bank reconciliations are accurate; developing and maintaining reporting systems to ensure that all receivables are collected in a timely and consistent manner; ensuring readiness for the annual audit and managing the annual audit process. He/she will produce regularly scheduled cash flow projections on the requested frequency;
- With the Vice President for Budget and Contract Management, oversees best practices; manages the annual budget process; oversees the assembly of the operating budget for presentation to the Board of Directors; monitors budgets and enforces budgetary controls, reviews the allocation of resources with particular scrutiny on issues that may affect the organization’s financial well-being; ensures city, state and federal reports are organized, accurate and in compliance with all government contracting requirements; conduct financial planning, reporting and forecasting, and financial analysis of potential new opportunities; provide technical assistance and support to program managers regarding the development of project budgets, budget management and forecasting. He/she will produce the annual budget working with involved staff and the board’s Finance Committee. Monitoring the annual budget month by month in conjunction with senior management and the Board’s Finance committee;
- Oversees and work collaboratively with affiliated services partners (i.e, Seedco Financial Services and EBO Nexus). Council Seedco management on working relations and provide accounting, information technology and administrative as may be contracted for under a management services agreement.
- With the Information Technology Manager, maximizes the adoption (within Seedco and outside) of its innovative, proprietary software tools, ensures best practices are in place; develops business plans as needed for such systems; oversees new management information system developments including investments in new applications and customer relations management software system; manages existing databases and systems; and provides on-going support of secure solutions as well as basic desk top, telecommunications and other information technology infrastructure.
- With Human Resource Director, Develop progressive and proactive compensation and benefits programs to provide motivation, incentives and rewards for effective performance and to provide programs which utilize an employee and company partnership for the short and long-range health and welfare protection of the employees. Develop appropriate policies and programs for effective management of the human resources of the corporation. Included in this area but not limited only to the following would be programs for employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment, employee complaints.
- Vice President for Budget and Contract Management
- Human Resources Director
- Information Technology Manager
- Senior Office Services Supervisor
- Board of Directors
- External Regulatory Agencies and grantors/funders, as required
- Seedco and Seedco Financial staff at all levels
- Sr. Program Managers, Vice Presidents and Sr. Vice Presidents
- Audit & Consulting Firms
- Health & Welfare Firms
- Pension Management Firms
- Insurance Brokers
- Information Technology and Telecommunication Firms
Education and Related Work Experience:
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- A bachelor’s degree is required; an MBA is strongly preferred;
- Must be an experienced manager leading a team of 20 (or more) people as well as managing through managers/direct reports;
- Proven senior-level problem solving and planning capability with sizeable financial responsibility in a public, private or nonprofit sector organization known for its strong financial discipline and sophisticated systems and operations;
- Prior experience as a CFO or equivalent is desirable;
- Experience and knowledge of the nonprofit sector;
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership with a CEO and a strong and experienced and results-oriented senior staff, and a Board of diverse and creative professional, business and community leaders;
- A record of success as a hands-on manager of integrated financial, administrative and management information;
- Experience in tweaking, revising or revamping, as needed, organizational structures;
- Familiarity with grants, contracts and other government (federal, state, city) funding mechanisms as well as community lending and investing;
- Analytical and forecasting experience, particularly related to the creation of new programmatic initiatives that support a multi-faceted organization, including comprehensive business plans; knowledge of management information systems and information technology;
- Experience in an environment that creates (and licenses) intellectual property is a plus;
Other Special Considerations:
- Must possess a mature level of judgment, decision making and sensitivity in a human service-oriented environment;
- Must be an effective, articulate and persuasive communicator, both verbally and in writing, who can explain finance and operations in simple and accurate terms;
- Must have a commitment to the mission, purpose and values of Seedco;
- Must be a dedicated leader/manager, collaborative and team-oriented, who can take charge, build consensus and affect change; must impart credibility, trust, enthusiasm and integrity, and must motivate others in the same vein;
- Must be a strategic leader, negotiator, and tactician who understands the business implications of plans and strategies, who is able to assess risk from multiple perspectives. and who is able to creatively design and implement flexible systems and procedures that fit Seedco’s project-based operating environment, commitment to working with community partners and long-term vision for fiscally responsible, strategic growth.;
- Must be outgoing and straightforward, with the skills to share information, listen and learn as well as give advice;
- Must be able to be decisive and innovative, tough-minded yet flexible, and able to compromise effectively when necessary;
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
- Able to travel a couple of times per year to Seedco’s sites.
Seedco - 17 months ago