About Democracy Prep:
Democracy Prep Public Schools is a growing network of free, open-enrollment, high-performing
public charter schools committed to preparing students for success in college and active citizenship. Democracy Prep’s DREAM Team of teachers and staff currently educates over 2,000 scholars in grades K-12. A pioneer in authentic civic education and charter school turnaround, Democracy Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all students, especially those with special needs. By proving that all students, regardless of where they are born or their initial academic performance, can achieve at extremely high academic levels, Democracy Prep seeks to transform not only the lives of our students, but also raise the expectations for public schools across the nation and beyond.
The mission of Democracy Prep is to educate responsible citizen-scholars for success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship
Our ambitious and necessary mission requires tremendous individual and collective effort. The Democracy Prep DREAM Team of teachers, leaders, and staff represent the top 1% of all applicants and executes our mission everyday with a zeal that embraces our unofficial motto:
Change the World!
For more information about our schools, please visit us online at
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the Chief Operating Officer and assume a strategic role in the overall management of Democracy Prep Public Schools. The CFO will primarily be responsible for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of our network of schools. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, property management, negotiations, partnership compliance, and fundraising in addition to managing the finance team at Democracy Prep Public Schools. This position also offers the opportunity to play a transformative role by overseeing the financial modeling of Democracy Prep turnaround schools by building a living model of how charter-to-charter turnaround can be executed across the nation.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the Finance & Accounting functions of the organization
- Establishes organization’s financial strategy and oversees a budget of $35 million
- Oversee budgeting, and the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present financial and operational metrics both internally and externally
- Ensure that finance staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and monitor the use of all funds
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding Democracy Prep schools
- Prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements for Democracy Prep Boards’ of Directors
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting
- Review all formal finance-, HR-, and IT-related procedures, processes, and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward
Strategy and Planning
- Collaborate on all operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations based on financial analysis and projections
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning in alignment with Democracy Prep Public Schools’ strategic plan
- Ensure alignment of financial management with short-term and long-term financial planning and projections
- Engage the Senior Leadership Team around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model and operational delivery
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations
Accounting and Administration
Qualities & Qualifications:
- Oversee the finance team to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and board of directors
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions
Required Core Competencies include:
- At least five years of experience managing budgets of $5-10 million coupled with a expertise in school finance and non-profit accounting
- Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting
- Skill in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending financial, HR, and technology policies and procedures
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model
- Expert in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and Access and extensive knowledge of QuickBooks or a similar accounting software program
- Strong understanding of statistics, regression, and data analysis preferred
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail; outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong work-ethic, detail-driven, and a commitment to doing whatever it takes to get the job done
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, delegate, and lead by example
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission of Democracy Prep is essential
- A minimum of a BS and CPA/CMA; an MBA is preferred.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Most of all, join a DREAM Team of like-minded educators who work to achieve the same mission ensuring that our students Work Hard, Go to College, and Change the World!
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are created to give you an idea of what you might do, but do not dictate responsibilities. Members of the DREAM Team embody an “all hands on deck” mentality and do whatever it takes to get the job done regardless of title.
Democracy Prep Public Schools - 17 months ago
Democracy Prep Public Schools is a growing network of seven free, open-enrollment, high-performing no excuses public charter schools...