The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a key member of the corporate leadership team, not only has primary day-to-day responsibility for all financial-related activities of the company, but also contributes actively to the strategic decisions that impact the company on its path to growth and profitability. The CFO advises the CEO, COO, and the corporate team of the organization with respect to financial reporting, planning, practices, and financial stability. The CFO is responsible for supporting core service lines, providing guidance to departments, and providing financial leadership. The CFO communicates and technically supports financial matters of the WEU.
This position provides sophisticated analytical, consultative and information support to the CEO, COO, the corporate team and university administration. This support is provided through the participation in the planning process, business development, presentations, financial modeling, cash flow management, development of financial goals and effective monitoring of such goals, sound recommendations regarding business opportunities, cost control and business plans. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: 1. Oversees and directs treasury, budgeting, audit, tax, accounting, purchasing, real estate, long range forecasting, and insurance activities for the organization.
2. Directs procedures and computer application systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate accounting controls and services. 3. Directs activities such as custodian of funds, securities, and assets of the organization.
4. Oversees budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally. 5. Takes hands-on lead position of developing, implementing, and maintaining a comprehensive financial reporting system by partnering with information technology to procure systems that meet the needs of the organization.
6. Manages cash flow and forecasting; develops a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs; optimizes the handling of banking relationships and initiates appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions. 7. Appraises the organization°s financial position and issues periodic reports on organization°s financial stability, liquidity, and growth.
8. Directs and coordinates the establishment of budget programs. 9. Coordinates tax reporting programs and investor relations activities.
10. Analyzes, consolidates, and directs all cost accounting procedures together with other statistical and routine reports. 11. Oversees and directs the preparation and issuance of the corporation°s reports to the CEO, COO, and Corporate Team.
12. Directs and analyzes studies of general economic, business, and financial conditions and their impact on the organization°s policies and operations. 13. Analyzes operational issues impacting functional groups and the whole institution, and determines their financial impact.
14. Evaluates and recommends business partnering opportunities. 15. Establishes and maintains contacts with financial institutions, financial partners, and Board of Directors.
16. Develops financial models and conducts market research related to new and emerging online revenue models. 17. Assistance with capital fundraising needs of the company during various rounds of seeking growth capital.
Required Qualifications: • At least five (5) years ’ experience in a senior finance and/or accounting role (CFO, Controller, VP Finance). • Master°s degree or equivalent in Accounting or Finance or related field; or Bachelor ’s degree and at least ten (10) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience; CPA a plus. • Experience in online and web business environments preferable. • Excellent creative problem solving skills with a willingness to “roll up the sleevesquot and work in intense situations.
Comfortable with presentations to venture capital, private equity, angel investors and investment bankers. Review of applicants begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter and current curriculum vita. Salary level is commensurate with education, professional credentials, and experience.
- Ability to build trust both internally and externally. • Ability to operate with financial discipline employing a detailed knowledge of accounting processes, internal controls, GAAP and financial reporting requirements. • Strong ability to analyze data and articulate key issues, trends and solutions. • Track record demonstrating ability to enhance both financial and operational processes.
- Direct prior experience working closely with lenders to establish and maintain banking relationships. • Experience working with a company to restructure cash, assets, and prioritize supply chain activities. Prior experience with tax structuring is a plus. • Strong oral presentation skills.
The successful candidate is required to relocate to the Palm Springs area, in California.