The Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA) is an independent State agency that regulates Maryland’s insurance industry and protects Maryland consumers. There are approximately 1,600 insurance companies and more than 135,000 insurance producers (agents and brokers) that conduct business in the State of Maryland and that impact Maryland citizens who purchase insurance products. Through the diligence of a highly professional staff, the MIA works to facilitate a strong insurance marketplace where consumers are well informed and treated fairly.
IMPORTANT: To be considered for a position with the MIA, you must upload a single document that contains a cover letter stating your interest with your salary history and salary requirements, along with a current professional resume. Refer to the "Further Instructions" section at the end of this page.
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Insurance Administration is recruiting for the position of Chief Market Conduct Examiner within the Compliance and Enforcement Unit. This position reports to the Associate Commissioner for Compliance and Enforcement. Responsibilities includes supervising the Life and Health Market Conduct Unit in all market conduct actions concerning the business practices of insurance companies (life, health, third-party administrators), managed care organizations, pharmacy benefit managers and other regulated entities to ensure compliance with applicable insurance laws, regulations and corrective action plans. The Chief Examiner is also responsible for: assigning and supervising the work of the examination staff; working with the Market Analysis Unit to select licensees for market conduct action; prioritizing, planning and overseeing the development and implementation of market conduct action plans; overseeing the preparation of final examination reports and orders; hiring and training new examiners; conducting training on new laws, regulations and examination techniques; o verseeing the development of market conduct action policies and procedures; ensuring that market conduct actions meet national regulatory standards; participating in and conducting training sessions for, organizations such as the NAIC & IRES; accepting speaking engagements at various industry and regulatory seminars and meetings.
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
Experience: Five (5) years of experience as a market conduct examiner with at least two additional years of experience at the supervisory or managerial level.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
- A graduate degree in business, insurance or a related field and/or a professional designation such as MCM, AIE, CIE, or APIR is preferred
- Substantial knowledge of the applicable laws and regulations enforced by the Maryland Insurance Administration with emphasis on health, life, annuity and disability insurance.
- Substantial knowledge of market regulation and examination practices, tools and techniques.
- Substantial knowledge of the various entities licensed by, and under the regulatory authority of, the Maryland Insurance Administration.
- General knowledge of the current status of health reform and the Affordable Care Act.
- An understanding and familiarity with the role of the NAIC.
- The ability to simultaneously manage numerous market conduct actions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to travel.
For immediate consideration, you MUST upload a single document at the "Resume" tab that contains:
1) a cover letter stating your interest;
2) salary history;
3) specific salary requirements; and
4) a current professional resume.
If you are unable to apply online, you may submit via mail. Please be sure to include all documents listed above to ensure timely processing.
Complete application packets may be mailed to:
Maryland Insurance Administration
Human Resources - Recruitment#: 13-009645-001
200 St. Paul Place, Suite 2700
Baltimore, MD 21202
Incomplete submission will not receive consideration.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
State of Maryland - 13 months ago