The Chief Mate is second in command and he/she reports to the Master. The Chief Mate takes a hands-on approach to his duties. The Chief Mate works with other rig departments to ensure all vessel, marine, safety and emergency systems are functional and in good order. Chief Mate will be an active participant of the DP department and he/she will ensure that all navigation and station keeping equipment is functional and kept in good order. He/she will act as On Scene Commander in the event of any emergency.
Assist the OIM/Master in exercising effective control over the vessel’s marine operations with due regards for the safety of personnel, maintenance of vessel equipment, and protection of the environment.
Direct Manager/Supervisor ‐ OIM/Master
Functional Manager/Supervisor – N/A
The Chief Mate has five direct reports:
Qualifications and Experience
- Senior. Dynamic Positioning Operator (Sr. DPO)
- Dynamic Positioning Operator (DPO)
- Second Mate
- AB Seaman
- Painting Supervisor
The Chief Mate is required to have:
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- STCW 95 Chief Mate License 95 II / 2, with valid Flag State endorsement
- Valid Nautical Institute unlimited DP Certificate, and other regulatory and non‐regulatory courses.
- Knowledge of all technical calculations required for the safe operation of the marine aspect of the vessel.
- All STCW 95 required training for Chief Mate for vessel class and flag requirements.
- Valid STWC Ship Security Officer’s Certificate.
- Prior experience on a DP Drillship in highly recommended but not mandatory for the position
- Good supervisory and communication skills in English.
- Completion of all training and certification requirements for Chief Mate as described in the Rowan training matrix.
- Valid medical certificate.
Key Behavioral Attributes
- Comply with Rowan’s, Code of Conduct and supporting policies, standards and applicable process documentation.
- Perform all work according to agreed expectations of both internal and external customers focus on doing things right first time, every time and contribute actively to continual improvement activities.
- Ensure conformance to local / international laws relating to the vessel’s operation, and strictly comply with current pollution regulations.
- Oversee the maintenance of marine equipment, fire fighting and life saving equipment, lifting equipment and vessel’s exterior maintenance.
- Ensure materials and equipment loaded onboard are safely stowed, secured and labeled according to Regulatory requirements.
- Ensure the vessel is seaworthy at all times and maintained / operated in accordance with approved Operations Manual.
- Possess basic knowledge of the practical operation of the DP control system, including changing between systems and the various modes of operation
- Maintain the watertight integrity of the vessel, loading and storage of consumables, securing of supply vessels, safe operation of helicopters,
- Ensure the vessel is maintained within normal and safe limits of intact and damage stability, shear stress and bending moments.
- Daily stability checks to be carried out.
- Assist the OIM/Master in ensuring the navigational equipment is maintained, fully functional, and that testing and calibration is carried out.
- Assist the OIM/Master in maintaining the vessel’s official logbook, deck logbook and maintenance reports and other vessel documents as directed.
- Understudy the OIM/Master and deputize when he / she is indisposed.
- Supervise the 2 nd Mate, 3 rd Mate and DPO’s activities and perform the duties of a DPO if conditions of DPO job description are satisfied..
- Be capable of performing DP Incident Investigation.
- Be capable of planning, executing and leading DP trials and drills, including Blackout Recovery.
- Inspect, test and maintain all firefighting equipment and life saving appliances – ensure readiness for immediate use when required.
- Ensure that marine equipment maintenance is being performed and records maintained in line with Rowan PM system.
- Planning and supervision of all paint / corrosive preventive maintenance work and all surface cleaning work. Ensure emptied tanks are flush with fresh water to prevent corrosion carrying out tank inspections and recording same.
- Ensure compliance with environmental protection requirements as specified by Company Policies and Regulatory bodies.
- Ensure that the company QHSE Policies and other programs are communicated to and understood by all rig personnel.
- Play an active role in the weekly meetings and company safety management systems.
- Ensure a high standard of hygiene and housekeeping is maintained onboard the vessel.
- Assist the OIM/Master in all emergency situations and emergency protection responses acting as On-Scene Commander in all emergency scenarios.
- Assist the OIM/Master in coordinating weekly emergency drills along with monitoring and evaluating the crew training and progress.
- Be competent to train new DP personnel; assess the skill level of new and existing DP personnel.
- Maintain discipline onboard and ensure compliance with Company and regulatory disciplinary procedures.
- Implement all requirements of ISPS code in role as SSO
- Enthusiastic, self-driven, dynamic, and proactive attitude.
- Always promotes Company’s interest in a positive manner.
- Actively train and coach subordinates to ensure readiness for the next promotion / position by monitoring their performance, carrying out efficient appraisals as often as required
Rowan Companies, Inc. (Rowan) is a provider of international and domestic contract drilling services. Rowan also owns and operates a...