Genomic Health is a global healthcare company that provides actionable genomic information to personalize cancer treatment decisions. The company's lead product, the Onco type DX ® breast cancer test, has been shown to predict the likelihood of chemotherapy benefit as well as recurrence in invasive breast cancer and has been shown to predict the likelihood of recurrence in ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). In addition to this widely adopted test, Genomic Health provides the Onco type DX colon cancer test, the first multi-gene expression test developed for the assessment of risk of recurrence in patients with stage II and stage III disease. Genomic Health has a robust pipeline focused on developing tests to optimize the treatment of prostate and renal cell cancers, as well as additional treatment decisions in breast and colon cancers. The company is based in Redwood City, California with European headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. For more information, please visit, www.GenomicHealth.com . To learn more about Onco type DX tests, visit: www.OncotypeDX.com and www.mybreastcancertreatment.org
Genomic Health’s Chief Medical Officer (CMO) plays a key role in global Research and Development for bringing innovative genomic tests into clinical oncology practice and is responsible for developing the global medical team that supports research, development and commercial activities for all present and future tests.
Genomic Health is seeking an exceptional individual with strong clinical and scientific knowledge and experience, coupled with insightful leadership and organizational skills to lead the Medical Department, reporting to the Executive VP of Research and Development and serving on the CEO’s Management Committee. S/he should have extensive experience in oncology clinical studies, and in collaborating effectively with clinicians, and statisticians, and cancer biologists. The CMO and his or her staff will spearhead the product development strategy and clinical protocols that allow us to identify and validate the genomic tests that address critical clinical questions and improve the lives of cancer patients.
The successful candidate will be motivated by the opportunity to contribute to the discovery and development of diagnostic tests that transform our understanding and treatment of cancer. S/he will be familiar with leading edge genomics technology platforms, e.g., next generation sequencing, and interested in leading an outstanding group of clinicians, pathologists, Genomic Science Liaisons and the Medical Communications team in medical affairs. The candidate should be a strong organizational leader and manager, with the desire and ability to oversee, mentor, and develop a growing globally located staff of over 20. The CMO and Medical Team needs to interact productively across functions with their Research, Biostatistics, Development, IT, Operations, Program Management, Finance, and Commercial colleagues as well as the rest of senior management and external collaborators in a manner that is consistent with our values and culture.
The position has functional responsibility for the clinical and pathology scientific activities in the company. The CMO and the physicians that report to him/her will be responsible for developing strategic plans for the company’s product portfolio to ensure the development programs for new tests meet the high standards required by patients, physicians, payors, and regulatory agencies. The CMO and Medical Team will act as a leading spokespersons for the company with key opinion leaders at scientific conferences and advisory boards. The CMO oversees the committee responsible for strategy and review of the company’s new products and services to ensure that Genomic Health grows its leadership position in cancer genomic testing.
- Growing and developing the global medical team that supports our research, development, sales, and reimbursement activities to bring innovative genomic tests into clinical oncology practice
- Ensure the continued development and alignment of the global medical team through the attraction of top talent; prioritizing key initiatives; providing meaningful leadership and learning experiences; and delivering impactful coaching and performance feedback
- Ensure appropriate objectives and resources are deployed to meet strategic portfolio plans delivering on key milestones to advance all of the company’s products in research and development
- Ability to act as a role model in support of the Genomic Health culture and Core Values
- Collaborate in the creation and implementation of the strategic plans for development of new tests to ensure that the programs meet quality and safety standards required by patients, health care providers, and regulatory agencies
- Identify opportunities for clinical application of key technologies and genomic discoveries
- Build and grow collaborative relationships with the global commercial organization
- Build and maintain key opinion leader relationships consistent with commercial and development objectives
- Ensure test surveillance activities are consistent with established regulations and internal SOPs to meet or exceed safety and compliance objectives and quality standards
- Provide expert opinion and due diligence research on business development opportunities
- Enhance productivity, managing functional area budgets and resources
- The qualified candidate should have either an academic or industrial background, ideally experience in both. Experience bringing a product/test to market or demonstrated leadership in changing healthcare practice is highly desired.
- 10+ years of clinical experience, including oncology diagnostic and/or drug research and development, with the last 5 years in a very senior role leading high-performing teams and significant initiatives and managing highly talented people.
- Established relationships with medical oncology, surgery, and/or pathology KOL’s highly desired. Experience interacting with leading teams with global representation is also desired.
- Medical degree required
- Demonstrated ability to effectively develop, communicates, and implements strategies and associated goals/projects through an organization; experience in working with commercial organization desirable
- Strong track record of publications in leading scientific/medical journals desired
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers throughout all levels
- Effective management, interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and problem solving skills with excellent judgment and decision making capabilities
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with an emphasis on quality
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Position located in Redwood City, travel required – 10 - 25%
Genomic Health, Inc. (NASDAQ: GHDX) is the world’s leading provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address the overtreatment of...