About Democracy Prep:
Democracy Prep Public Schools is a growing network of free, open-enrollment, high-performing
public charter schools committed to preparing students for success in college and active citizenship. Democracy Prep’s DREAM Team of teachers and staff currently educates over 2,000 scholars in grades K-12. A pioneer in authentic civic education and charter school turnaround, Democracy Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all students, especially those with special needs. By proving that all students, regardless of where they are born or their initial academic performance, can achieve at extremely high academic levels, Democracy Prep seeks to transform not only the lives of our students, but also raise the expectations for public schools across the nation and beyond.
The mission of Democracy Prep is to educate responsible citizen-scholars for success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship
Our ambitious and necessary mission requires tremendous individual and collective effort. The Democracy Prep DREAM Team of teachers, leaders, and staff represent the top 1% of all applicants and executes our mission everyday with a zeal that embraces our unofficial motto:
Change the World!
For more information about our schools, please visit us online at
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Chief Operations Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer and assume a strategic role in the overall management of Democracy Prep Public Schools. The COO will oversee the operational, organizational, administrative, and financial functions to enable our organization's growth. Working collaboratively to achieve a set of ambitious objectives, the COO's primary deliverables include: building and leading dynamic teams, ensuring operational and program execution, attaining strategic and financial results, establishing processes, systems, and reporting mechanisms, and driving effective and efficient implementation – all of which will enable innovation and growth in a non-profit organization.
- Participate as a thought partner to the CEO and work closely with other members of senior leadership team to craft overall organizational strategy and goals, with specific ownership of financial, operational, and programmatic objectives.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership through active involvement in all programs and services, developing broad and deep knowledge of the education sector and of Democracy Prep Public Schools.
- Routinely represent the organization to key stakeholders and partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation, auditors, public officials and board members, instilling confidence among these constituents.
- Responsible for setting and implementing strategic short- and long-term goals, including annual operations plan and budget.
- Oversee reporting and monitoring of organizational performance metrics, both programmatic and operational.
Operational Management and Growth
- Provide effective and inspiring management of a high-functioning, well-integrated staff of over 300 individuals.
- Lead, plan, manage, and drive results for the finance/accounting, administrative, human resource, knowledge management, and programmatic functions of a non-profit organization with a budget of over $35 million expected to grow within five years.
- Identify and implement innovative, disciplined, and continuously improving processes and systems for administrative and program services teams. Hold teams accountable to operating and measuring results under established processes, systems, and metrics.
- Develop organizational effectiveness through: talent management/succession planning, change management, performance management, training/development and total rewards (compensation, benefits).
- Lead Democracy Prep Public Schools in determining, identifying, and developing specific plans to scale its capabilities and capacity as highly-performing, data driving organization.
Strategy and Planning
- Collaborate on all operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations based on operational and organizational projections.
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning in alignment with Democracy Prep Public Schools’ strategic plan.
- Engage the Senior Leadership Team around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model and operational delivery
Qualities and Qualifications
- At least 5 years of management experience overseeing business and financial operations, and driving significant results in a high-performance, rapid-growth non-profit organization.
- Proven track record of achieving short- and long-term organizational objectives and financial results through the implementation of infrastructure, business processes, and systems.
- Deep understanding of finance, financing vehicles, budgeting, staffing models, project planning, and cash flow forecasting.
- Excellent quantitative knowledge and problem solving skills in order to analyze, assess, and manage financial, administrative and operational execution.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach a senior-level staff to manage and develop high-performance teams to develop and implement program strategies.
- Experienced strategist and innovator who will contribute in the leadership, management, and growth of the organization.
- Highly accountable and results-driven with the ability to set and use goals to guide action and objectively measure performance.
Required Core Competencies include:
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail; outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Strong work-ethic, detail-driven, and a commitment to doing whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, delegate, and lead by example.
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission of Democracy Prep is essential.
- A minimum of a BA; A Masters is preferred.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Most of all, join a DREAM Team of like-minded educators who work to achieve the same mission ensuring that our students Work Hard, Go to College, and Change the World!
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are created to give you an idea of what you might do, but do not dictate responsibilities. Members of the DREAM Team embody an “all hands on deck” mentality and do whatever it takes to get the job done regardless of title.
Democracy Prep Public Schools is a growing network of seven free, open-enrollment, high-performing no excuses public charter schools...